New Wheels = Steering Vibration (55-65) mph

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
What's up sn95'er's!

I installed a new set of aftermarket wheels from cosmis racing and the fit/finish is perfect. The offsets are right and they look great with the car. Now moving on, after I had the wheels on for a while the vibration died down a bit because I aired down the tires to the proper PSI that factory recommends. The wheels are wearing in nicely after my alignment but I can't put my finger on why I have the most subtle vibrations at those speeds (55-65mph) on the front end of the car. I have steeda bumpsteer kit and M/M C/C 4 way plates with new OEM Ford inner tie rods that were installed by me about 3 to 4 years ago. The only thing that is original are the steering shaft, rack and pinion, and rack bushings which are shot. The wheels are slightly heavier than oem so maybe it can be putting a strain on front suspension some how. Any educated thoughts? The wheels are mounted and balanced properly too.

Nathan

wmfateam

Reaction score
Were they road force balanced? We had cars come in all the time at Lexus were they had tires installed at a place that doesn't road force, and the complaint was always at a specific limited speed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wmfateam

Reaction score
And post pictures. Is just looking at Cosmis rims

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Also, even though the wheels are properly balanced, you can still get a vibration if it took too much weight to balance them.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Were they road force balanced? We had cars come in all the time at Lexus were they had tires installed at a place that doesn't road force, and the complaint was always at a specific limited speed.

Yes, they were road force balanced at the Lexus dealership my friend works at.

And post pictures. Is just looking at Cosmis rims

11896060_814825662728_7567387684343884853_n.jpg

Also, even though the wheels are properly balanced, you can still get a vibration if it took too much weight to balance them.

I dont remember him putting that much weight on front wheels, he did put more weight for the rears since they are larger tire but the rear is quiet no vibration back there. Its only on the front suspension.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
If possible, I would put the factory wheels back on and see if the vibration goes away.
If it is still there then maybe it's a suspension part that happened to go bad at the same time and not the wheels.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
If possible, I would put the factory wheels back on and see if the vibration goes away.
If it is still there then maybe it's a suspension part that happened to go bad at the same time and not the wheels.

I think its suspension related, these wheels are slightly heavier and put more of demand on the front suspension. The slop in steering from the steering shaft and stock rubber pushings in the rack could be the culprit. If it were the wheels it would vibrate at any speed which it doesn't. It comes and goes as weird as that sounds...Its not always vibrating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online