Explorer Steering Wheel On SN95?

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I went to a Ford wrecker today after school in search of a replacement steering wheel for the Mustang, and I found something in good condition, but it isn't off a Mustang. I found a relatively good condition black leather wrapped steering wheel off a 2000 Ford Explorer. The wheel itself looks very similar, and for the low price of 22$ Canadian, I bought it, not really caring if it fit or not. I would say it was a steal. Cool guys too. Would this wheel fit an SN95? Is the shaft and spline count the same? How about the airbag situation? Thank you.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you’re in bc and you’re interiors grey I gotta mint one

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
If you’re in bc and you’re interiors grey I gotta mint one
I am in BC but my interior is saddle/black. Thanks though, I am trying to get either a saddle or black wheel. A black one would go nicely with the rest of the interior, just as the factory saddle one did.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have a factory black OEM Cobra wheel, but it has 130k on it. Cobra ones were leather wrapped.

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
2 different colors between 99-04 and 94-98.
I currently have a black FR500 wheel from LMR and love it.
I have a factory black OEM Cobra wheel, but it has 130k on it. Cobra ones were leather wrapped.
If you are selling that wheel could you PM me some pictures? I am pretty tight on funds right now but I would be interested in buying it some time in the future if you still have it by then.

I looked at the FR500 wheels, and I feel that even though they would fit the car ok, the wider grip with holes in it just doesn't look that right to me in these cars, at least not in mine. It would fit a Terminator or Mach 1 perfectly, but not a 95 GT. But that's just me.

It's mainly the wider grip of the wheel. I come from learning on older cars (75 Volvo, 85 E30, 92 LS400) and their wheels are perfect for me, just like the factory SN95 wheel. Don't really wanna go wider than that.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
black leather wrapped steering wheel off a 2000 Ford Explorer.

I think the wiring for the cruise buttons is slightly different as I beleive that year, the buttons on the explorer were lit. You won't be able to get it working. You'll want to swap the cruise buttons from your existing wheel over.

SN95 spline count remained the same but no idea if the explorer used the same setup.

Airbags are for the most part interchangeable. Main difference is the colors and logos on the cover. Pony, Cobra, Ford emblem, Lincoln, etc. They all bolt up to the various Ford jelly-bean wheel of the 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online