Nice Rack?

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
Where can I get or who makes a nice replacement rack and pinion for 94-95? I think I broke a tooth of 2 in my rack when I hit a curb a long time back.

Is the factory ford replacement the way to go, or should I look for a used one, or is there a good aftermarket company who sells a decently priced rack?

I want to keep it power, and I don't want to spend a fortune

ReplicaR

Reaction score
See if you can hunt down an 03-04 Cobra rack. I've heard that those are some of the best budget racks you can get, short of the 00R rack. If you can't find that, get a factory one from junker or something.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
OEM racks work really well. The one in the red car has been road raced to hell and back and it's still going strong. Another friend of mine has literally over 200 race hours and 275,000 miles on his original rack - it works like a champ. :)

Paul.

916_5.0

Reaction score
I was thinking about replacing mine as well, summit sells a couple not sure of the quality though but htey are like 250 i think. Not to steal your thread but i was wondering i replaced my power steering pump about half a year ago and itis still rather noisy would replacing the rack help or do i need to do something else?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
First off, I was gonna say that you should probably flush the fluid completely, but you probably did that when you changed the rack, so I'll rule that out.

When you're running a a tire wider than stock, it is only natural to put more stress on the power steering pump. Actually, it's not really the width that puts more stress, but rather the scrub radius. Your wheel rotates around the same axis no matter what offset of width you have on the wheel, because it's attached to the spindle that only moves around the top mount and the ball joint. The easiest way to turn the wheel with out moving it, is when you turn it exactly on it's center. So if the center of your wheel is on the same axis as the steering axis, your scrub radius is in the center of the tire. This causes the least stress on the steering system (pretty much everything from the steering wheel to the ball joint), and the wheel will turn easier. When you offset a wheel to the outside, which is probably the case with your cobra wheels (I know my Cobra R wheels did that) you move the scrub radius to the side, and causing more scrub to happen when the wheel is turned. This puts extra load on the pump and other steering components.

To check your scrub radius, all you have to do is turn your wheel lock to lock several times, and then roll the car back a little, so you could see the scrub circle that formed on the tire. If the center of the circle is not at the cetner of the tire, than your scrub radius is not centered and this means that the steering is taking extra beating. From my experience, factory 17x8 GT wheels have centered scrub radius, while Cobra R 17x9 wheel, the scrub radius is moved inside about an inch. My pump is a bit loud too, but it's nothing bad really.

916_5.0

Reaction score
When i changed the pump the only fluid i drained was whatwsa in the pump, do i need to drain the fluid somewhere else too?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
You would just have to burp it, after you install a new pump. It will do it by itself over time anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag