Nitrous Oxide 101

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Fogger and direct port are the same thing. A fogger or direct port has a nozzle for each intake port right at the entrance to the cylinder head intake port on the intake manifold. Each nozzle has one jet for fuel and one for nitrous. It injects the nitrous and fuel mixture so close to the intake valve and cylinder that it guarantees a better mix and that the fuel will stay suspended all the way into the cylinder. It will allow you to run a large shot very safely compared to a single nozzle wet kit or most plate systems.
A plate is like a phenolic spacer, goes between the intake and carb or the upper and lower intakes on EFI. They have spray bars, a tube with holes drilled a specific angles that fills with nitrous in one and fuel in the other, and both spray out of the small holes as a mist which mixes and then gets sucked into the intake port and into the cylinder. Plates do not guarantee that an even mix of nitrous and fuel will enter each and every cylinder like a fogger will do.
A single nozzle is in the intake air tube before the throttle body and will inject either nitrous, as in my case, or nitrous and fuel, as in a wet nozzle, which in turn winds it's way through the intake tract until it finds it's way into the engine.

Hope this answers your questions.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how thick the foggers are? I am wondering if they require a bigger hood or if I can just swap out my 3/8" spacer?

NXcoupe

Reaction score
ttocs said:
Does anyone have any idea how thick the foggers are? I am wondering if they require a bigger hood or if I can just swap out my 3/8" spacer?
Your question makes no sense as is. I believe you meant to say a plate kit, but you said fogger. The plate kits are generally 1/2" think for most of them. If that answers your question. A fogger does not have anything to do with your intake height.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well how about this, how big a shot can the stock motor handle? I've seen a few run 150 wet shots. I'm wondering if for instance new rod and crank bearings and ARP rod bolts will help out the stock motor hold more power for the use of a cheaper N20 setup.

Conversely, another good question to ask would be what mod's increase the use of nitrous? I've heard such as anything that helps exhaust flow such as exhaust side porting, long tube headers, cams, etc. Basically anything that helps the scavenging of the exhaust out of the cylinder.

bottlefed97

Reaction score
I ran a 125 wet shot about 200 times on my stock 100,000+ mile non P.I. engine and never had a problem.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
well how about this, how big a shot can the stock motor handle? I've seen a few run 150 wet shots. I'm wondering if for instance new rod and crank bearings and ARP rod bolts will help out the stock motor hold more power for the use of a cheaper N20 setup.

Conversely, another good question to ask would be what mod's increase the use of nitrous? I've heard such as anything that helps exhaust flow such as exhaust side porting, long tube headers, cams, etc. Basically anything that helps the scavenging of the exhaust out of the cylinder.
All good questions. To determine how much spray your combo can handle, you must first determine how much n/a power your car makes. Most mod forums will agree that around 450 hp is about as much as those shortblocks can handle reliably for any length of time. So, saying upwards of a 200 shot for most stock cammed PI engines with long tubes, etc, is about the max I would say safely and that with either a modified dry kit or a port injection of some kind. Over 125 shot of wet nozzle or plate will cause to much fuel to fall out of the intake charge and cause a lean condition in certain cylinders. So I hope that answers your question on the topic of how much power.
As for mods increasing power on nitrous, well stock cams are going to net the most cylinder pressure and have the widest lsa you can get without a custom grind cam. As for other aftermarket cams, you will sacrifice some power because of overlap, unless again you go with a custom grind with an lsa over 114. As for exhaust, yes, larger ports on the exhaust, long tube headers and a free flowing exhaust make for great power on a nitrous combo. Short lsa camshafts net quite a loss in power, ie, a 100 shot only netting 50 to 75 hp. Whereas wide lsa's can net more power than the shot actually is jetted for ie, just tuned a 4.6 with stock cams, 100 shot netted him 120 hp with my nitrous tune. Very safe tune as well, it's the camshafts that are the secret.

voidfinger

Reaction score
so a stock PI cam shaft is a great cam for a budget nitrous setup then

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Yep sure is! With an LSA of around 116/117 it is a great cam for nitrous. Expect huge torque gains with a stock cam. Without giving too much away, my 308 with a stock 5.0 cam out of an 89, makes over 750 ft lbs at 3500 rpm's. hows that?

Stock982v

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what size shot is good for a bone stock 98gt , also what is the better system , a dry or wet kit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online