NPI Aluminum crossover alternator

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
So I have the aluminum crossover intake for the NPI 4.6. I was running the stock alternator and bracket for a while, (then replaced the alternator) and ran it for 16k miles), and in this time the alternator bolts broke, and I replaced them. It ran fine for another 13k miles, before breaking again. Now when I went to put it back together, the bracket did not line up, and only two bolts would fit. The third bolt hole is nearly an inch away from where it should be. Upon some research, I found that supposedly with the aluminum crossover NPI intake, the PI intake alternator bracket is supposed to mount up.

Now, I went and pulled a PI bracket off a scrapyard car, and while it fits (with the correct alternator ofc), what looks like the coolant temp sensor is in the way of the left side of the bracket. Is there an actual fix for this? I just cut the bracket around where the sensor would be blocking it, but I was wondering if there's another fix.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Any support on top of the alternator is a plus. If you dont find a simple solution, cutting the brackets left side for clearance like you described, itwill be perfectly fine. Ive ran many miles on just the 2 lower mounting bolts. The belt did squeal when alternator demands were higher.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Well, update, the connector is different between the PI alternator and the NPI alternator. The NPI alternator has a two pin connector and a separate third connector engine side, and the PI alternator I bought has a single 3 pin connector on the alternator side. Does anyone know if I can pull an engine side 3 pin connector off PI car at the scrap yard and cut and splice it into the engine side of my car?

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Well, update, the connector is different between the PI alternator and the NPI alternator. The NPI alternator has a two pin connector and a separate third connector engine side, and the PI alternator I bought has a single 3 pin connector on the alternator side. Does anyone know if I can pull an engine side 3 pin connector off PI car at the scrap yard and cut and splice it into the engine side of my car?
I haven't had a chance to compare wiring diagrams yet but theoretically those three pins should have to line up with the three available wires for the alternator right? Definitely wont be cutting up my engine harness until im sure about it though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online