Oh god! I just can’t do it anymore!!!

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
your car will not work if your iphone doesn't?
It really didn’t brick it. It was just amusing to think about. Especially since, if you look, I had to blast the heater, as the car was overheating as well.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
It really didn’t brick it. It was just amusing to think about. Especially since, if you look, I had to blast the heater, as the car was overheating as well.
Now that sounds like a party. Heater going in 100+ temps. I bet you were just happy as can be!

Did you find out why it’s overheating?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my girlfriend in college my first freshman year had a car that overheated. Man there nothing worse than sitting in the summer heat with the heat on hoping that the car or you do not die....

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
I know, been almost unbearable here. Old people like me have to go slow and get stuff done early. Plus, no rain insight.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unfortunately for me they are forcasting showers this weekend possibly starting thursday. I would welcome it if i didn't have that ticket for the ferrari on friday. So far they are saying morning showers and my ticket isn't till 2 so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Now that sounds like a party. Heater going in 100+ temps. I bet you were just happy as can be!

Did you find out why it’s overheating?

My family didn’t quite care for it. Our family sedan, a Tesla Model S, was severely injured in a hail storm last June, just before the heat wave started. It was still functional, but yesterday we dropped it off to get fixed. I used the AC on the way there to pick them up. The car really only overheats when I do that, but I wanted some comfort dammit! So me, my husband, and an adult sized 10yo crammed in the backseat, endured that nonsense. At least I had the foresight to give the kid her own portable fan. …though I might as well have given her a hair dryer. Oh! And the hardtop is still on, so top wasn’t down. I apologized to her, telling her that I thought my car was cool, but instead it was just hot. To which she replied “and sexy!” …remember, she’s supposed to be 10.

I remember an episode of KotH back in the 90s. Hank, the main character, was super emotional about his truck. He saw it overheating and started blasting the heater as he and his boss sweated. I got that car a year after that show first aired, and have done this trick numerous times due to various overheating issues thanks to that episode. There are just some things they don’t teach teenaged girls, so I’m glad I saw it.

I believe the problem may be related to the two speed fan. I don’t think it ever kicks onto high speed.

my girlfriend in college my first freshman year had a car that overheated. Man there nothing worse than sitting in the summer heat with the heat on hoping that the car or you do not die....

I don’t think I really had any car trouble until it reached that 10 year mark (if you don’t count the recalled and blown head gasket). Stupid things like a cam positioning sensors and trunk lift supports. One day, back when I was a college student, I managed to stop at an auto parts store not far from campus. They were very eager to assist me and looked at my car. New radiator hoses and power steering fluid, since they thought it shouldn’t be that color. I knew power steering didn’t effect my engine temperature so I thanked them anyway and limped home.

I wouldn’t need to change the power steering fluid until 15 years later, the the pump just flat out quit and started leaking. The hoses though, I did replace, and surprisingly fixed my overheating problem!

Anyway, I just remember the limping ride back. Looking for garbage to hold pond water, and wondering why I didn’t bother buying coolant while at the parts store. Cooling off at a Harley Davidson dealership, only to discover that a vehicle with two wheels cost at least double what my 4 wheeled vehicle was worth when purchased in 1998 as a 4yo car.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So the two speed fan could be a couple things. Could just be a bad fan assembly or maybe a bad ccrm.

Either way, have you considered a good aftermarket fan? I’m not sure what you cooling system is, I’m only guessing it’s stock, but maybe a bigger radiator?

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
So the two speed fan could be a couple things. Could just be a bad fan assembly or maybe a bad ccrm.

Either way, have you considered a good aftermarket fan? I’m not sure what you cooling system is, I’m only guessing it’s stock, but maybe a bigger radiator?

My husband thinks it’s a bad CCRM but it’s currently on its forth. The second was for the wrong car, third didn’t really ever need to be replaced. And it technically would overheat when the AC was on back when it had it. Surprisingly didn’t in 2018, as I was on a lengthy road trip. Now I can only go across town before it starts.

Radiator has been replaced and flushed numerous times, as has the thermostat. I wanna say the fan has, but not 100% sure. My husband did buy me a brand new Taurus fan which supposedly is an upgrade, but we don’t have a wiring harness for it. He also has some sort of power regulator that he’s trying to wire so the fan will ALWAYS be on if the ambient temperature reaches the sensor. He wasn’t able to finish installing that last night because it got late, and even at night it’s 90+ degrees with no airflow since it has to be worked on in a garage.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
@MyLittlePony.
Bless your heart. I hope y'all get some cooler weather and right soon. Have you considered the water pump? If it is the original water pump and the impeller has worn/dissolved away, it could lose its ability to properly/efficiently circulate the coolant allowing the engine to transfer the heat then get it to the radiator to cool it back down. A hot day with the AC on could exacerbate the problem.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
@MyLittlePony.
Bless your heart. I hope y'all get some cooler weather and right soon. Have you considered the water pump? If it is the original water pump and the impeller has worn/dissolved away, it could lose its ability to properly/efficiently circulate the coolant allowing the engine to transfer the heat then get it to the radiator to cool it back down. A hot day with the AC on could exacerbate the problem.
The water pump is “newish.” It was purchased and installed in 2008. As of today, it has a little over 28,000 miles on it. There is a slow coolant leak (car has plenty of coolant), but when Midas looked at it, they felt the leak was coming from the water pump. I don’t know where exactly. I just know that when I, personally, change out thermostats, sometimes there’s a leak and I have to reinstall.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I feel like 28k miles is still newish for a water pump, but age definitely takes its toll on things, especially seals and bearings. I’ve not seen a water pump not move water just from being old, but the seals definitely go out with time.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Sitting here looking at my outside thermometer. It reads 111, in the shade, and that's not factoring the heat index. I'm really looking forward to Fall now. Maybe I'll be able to get something accomplished.

Reaction score
So glad I moved, Texas heat and humidity sucks that and allergies and I finally got out of there. Best decision I ever made lol.

92wastheyear

Reaction score
The last time I had to do the ol' heater trick to avoid overheating was 30+ years ago. I had 77 Toyota pickup that began to overheat. The 20R engine had water passage thru the timing chain cover and it developed a pin hole. I had to pull the head to replace the cover. Yuck

PS I traded that truck to my sister (after i fixed it) for a '66 Mustang Coupe. 289/3-Speed. That Stang was probably my all-time favorite car I have ever owned

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online