Oil buildup in my upper intake, how do I clean it out?

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Ok, so my car is almost totally stock, even the original freakin battery is in there. My question is, there is some oil residue/buildup from the car being run for 10 years, how do I clean that gunk out and what do I use to do it with?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would try good old sea-foam. I know my mechanic has a machine that he hooks up and it pumps some sort of super hot? special fluid into your motor and it supposadly cleans it all out, im sure there is a fancy machine where you live at some shop too.

But for now spend $10 on some seafoam.

ps: whats the mileage on that baby?

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
175,000 Km on her. how do I get the sea foam in the upper intake though?

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I got some fuel injected intake cleaner spray today at work. Used that, seemed to have worked in that I sprayed the gunk with it and it loosened it up. Only bad part is that it went into the motor. Hopefully it got "blown" out when I started it and revved it few times.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so how are you getting it in there, taking off the intake? personally I wouldnt be spraying intake cleaner in there, I think that stuffs more for the throttle body is it not?

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Sprayed it in the intake through the throttle body, cleaned out both the throttle body and intake with it as well. It didn't seem to hurt the engine, and it cleaned the crap out of it. Just got to fix all the other quirks now.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
pretty much everything, car is nearly all stock from 96, it still has the motorcraft battery. Probably orig spark plugs as well.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Thanks, I was pretty nervous about doing it, but will definetly give it a go now. I think the irmcs are gummed up too, maybe the seafoam will help with it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
the seafoam may help, but it's nothing like opening it up and cleaning everything with a few cans of carb. cleaner

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
yea, seafoamed it and it probably cleaned it out a little. Tomorrow or sunday me and the mad scientist, my dad, are going to tear apart the intake and see what the deal is with that imrc thats stuck.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey by any change 94gt, where you losing oil badly when you checked it with the dipstick?

because i just did an oil change about 4 weeks ago and it was already 2 qts low when i checked it! i changed the pcv valve so hopefully it worked but im wondering where my oil was giong because it wasnt smoking out the back and it wasnt leaking oil on the ground. but i was losing oil majorly..

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Weird, no mine doesn't eat any oil, maybe your piston rings are shot. :dunno:

SonicStang

Reaction score
It's normal that there's a puddle in the lower intake after that time. The oil gets sucket up thru the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover into the upper, then lower plenum.
I took the upper plenum off and put an old cloth inside, cleaned it a little and pulled it out again.
I am using an air/oil separator to not make that happen again. A pic of the oilseparator is in this thread: http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1742.0

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey, yeah i checked my oil today and it was still at full! i bought a pcv valve about a week ago and i guess that fixed it. i have a buddy who went to UTI and i told him my problem and he popped that off first thing and said there shouldn't be any oil around the pcv valve or something like that. so i went and bought a new one and im hoping its fixed! thanks for the info though, if it continues, ill give it a try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.