Open loop Closed loop

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
HELP,
I bought a 95 that some one has done an egr delete on after much research i have figured out how to get the check engine light off it does not come on but after watching my car on live data i noticed that it bounces between open loop and closed loop the codes that i get are all related to this lean codes, rich codes, has any body had this issue or am i chasing ghosts

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like the tps is off for one reason or another. I am actually waiting for a tps harness to arrive at vatozone today because I discovered my harness is not clipping on all the way. Try taking the harness off and inspect it and the tps connection/clean if necessary and make sure its a nice tight fit when you put it back on. If one of the clips is broken on the harness or if you can easily pull it off you will need to see about either a new harness or sensor.

OP
OP
K

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
sounds like the tps is off for one reason or another. I am actually waiting for a tps harness to arrive at vatozone today because I discovered my harness is not clipping on all the way. Try taking the harness off and inspect it and the tps connection/clean if necessary and make sure its a nice tight fit when you put it back on. If one of the clips is broken on the harness or if you can easily pull it off you will need to see about either a new harness or sensor.
That may be the issue when I bought the car it had a zex dry system on it with WOT attached to the tps so I will inspect it better

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if could be throwing it in and out of closed loop because it thinks your giving it gas while its sitting there idle. The harnesses should all be tight enough that you can give them a solid pull/tug and they should not come off. Realistically if the clips are in place you should not be able to just pull them off. Be sure to check this after the motor is hot as I found another harness a few years ago that when the motor was cold it worked fine but then after it got hot the harness was loose.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I don’t know how those obd1 systems work but I know it’s important for the tps voltage to be close to 1v or else it’ll throw things out of whack. There should be a little bit of play to adjust the tps voltage but the wiring may be damaged as Scott suggested.

OP
OP
K

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
Tps has brass inserts in the thread hole so with out drilling the holes bigger no play I will inspect the wiring and see if I cant figure out why the voltage is so high

OP
OP
K

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
One of the tabs was broke on the connecter so I replaced it no change i think next i will drill the holes out a little so I can get some play because soon as I attach it the throttle body boom 1.30 volts i need to back it off a little I may just need to replace this junk throttle body Idk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You were able to find a tps sensor harness that fast? I am still waiting on mine after ordering it wed.

OP
OP
K

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
I am a service writer in a auto shop so parts are what I do all day... I didn't realize when I bought this car that the computer and harness are so testy I have had 7 fox bodies but this car is nothing like them and being a in between car not all obd1 not all obd2 is frustrating the hell out of me I am bout to tear it apart

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there is another problem that maybe that band aid will cover but there should be a better way. before you do any drilling see if you can even adjust it back down that far by removing it from the intake and see about turning it with a flat head.

OP
OP
K

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
Yeah I think I am going to tear the intake off and inspect everything cuz everything is screwy when it comes to the the tps ,throttle body, idle air control i did a smoke test on it and didn't really have any leaks but I think there is an underlying issue that hasn't showed its ugly mug yet.. Just a real weird thing between 2200 and 2700 in 3rd fourth and 5th it falls on its face sounds like its running on 4cyl but then it straightens up runs fine but only if feather into the gas if I gun it the whole way its fine if a cruise at 2200 then accelerate it stumbles like a pinto then picks up and is fine

OP
OP
K

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
Which is what the live data showed it would go into close loop hit the gas and it goes back into open and is fine if I let it idle or hold it about 1800 to 200 it goes back into close loop open it up a little it goes back into open loop

OP
OP
K

kcraidersfan816

Reaction score
If I take it off the throttle body it goes to zero as it should but the way the blade is on the throttle body to get it mounted I cant get it under 1.30 volts its super odd

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just out of stupidity try disconnecting, inspecting and fixing/cleaning(if needed) the larger harness that feeds into all the sensors on the motor. IIRC its on the passenger side firewall? Its been a few years since my wiring was stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online