PI Intake Swap (no heads/cams swap)?

slowstang

Reaction score
OK, I almost hate to ask another npi to pi question, but Imma have to. I have done lots of searching on several forums and come up with a basic understanding of the full intake/heads/cams swap, but have a more specific question about a partial, budget-minded swap. This will be on a 98 npi 2v GT, BTW. I am looking to spend as little as possible, and it seems I might gain a noticable bit of oomph with the PI intake swap alone. Another reason behind this is preventative maintainance for a coolant leak. I had an 01 GT several years ago, and the thing to do on those cars was the bullit intake. While I've got the npi intake off, could I go ahead and step up to the bullit intake and net a few more ponies? And would I need tuning after either of these swaps? A complete parts list with gaskets and everything needed for just the manifold swap would be nice, too. I would like to do the PI cams later down the road too, but prolly not the PI heads due to the amount of labor. Can you put a set of (stock or aftermarket) PI cams in npi heads? I am not trying to get crazy power out of this car(I know it won't happen anyway lol) but would like a little more pep out of my DD. Also, I just bought my car used and it feels stronger than I would have thought. I am the third owner and the last guy didnt know much about what was done to the car before he got it. Is there an easy way of telling (w/o taking the manifold off) if any of the PI swap has already been done? The car has a Bassani X and Magnaflow mufflers, along with what I assume are 3.73 gears (2100 RPM at 70mph in a t-45 car, can anyone verify this for me?) Thanks for the help,
Brian

Rantheman

Reaction score
The money difference between the bullitt intake and the p.i. intake is too great I would say if you ran aftermarket cams or stock p.i. cams and a p.i. intake you would have more go for a lot less money

Rantheman

Reaction score
also you can put cams in your car in all in your prefference so good luck to you and you will enjoy the power.

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
you do not need to tune the motor either. i just put a pi intake on my npi heads. use the pi intake gaskets. it requires alot less silicon. :drunk:

NORTON98

Reaction score
I have a question that i thought i would jsut throw in here.

I understand that if you just get PI cams and not the performance ones you can use the anderson tool to just take off the valve covers and hold the timing chain in place and slip them in. But would it be worth it to upgrade to performance cams and pay a lot more labor because the engine has to be removed?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NORTON98 said:
I have a question that i thought i would jsut throw in here.

I understand that if you just get PI cams and not the performance ones you can use the anderson tool to just take off the valve covers and hold the timing chain in place and slip them in. But would it be worth it to upgrade to performance cams and pay a lot more labor because the engine has to be removed?

Who told you the engine needed to be removed to install cams...