Picked up Mach 1

ckevincawley

Reaction score
Alright so this will be my first pony build. Any suggestions to start? She is stock as of yet but I thought about picking up another block and starting to build that before I drop it in. Bore, stroke, new crank, forged aluminum pistons, piston rings. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Sinned83

Reaction score
My suggestions are big bank account and patience...

wmfateam

Reaction score
Who do you plan on road racing through? I'd get the rule book for whoever you are going to run with, and build it up for a specific class. For example, I run with NASA, and certain first mods start adding up points real quick and put you into a hard to be competitive class.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ba#97

Reaction score
so I am assuming that you're telling us on this sub forum about it because you want to take it on the road course? are you asking for advice on what you should do to make it a good track day car? do you have any on track experience. (not drag racing). if not, then you shouldn't even get close to touching the motor before getting out to the track. our cars have more than enough hp for a beginner on track and even someone with experience will tell you a ton of hp isn't necessary. the big thing for getting out on track with a lack of experience either in a specific car or on the track at all is to leave the car alone and get out there. learn how to drive first, get a good amount of track time under your belt and then once you do that you can start telling where your car needs work. usually in the handling department. hp should be the very last thing you worry about. find your local track day group and go with them or go with your local National Autosport Association through their HPDE program (High Performance Driving Experience). only recommendations for mods prior to going out are make sure the car is mechanically sound, stainless steel brake lines are a must, a slightly more agressive brake pad, and a track oriented brake fluid. then you'll be good to get out there and learn. another thing is if you intend to have the car as a streetable car or not.

OP
OP
ckevincawley

ckevincawley

Reaction score
so I am assuming that you're telling us on this sub forum about it because you want to take it on the road course? are you asking for advice on what you should do to make it a good track day car? do you have any on track experience. (not drag racing). if not, then you shouldn't even get close to touching the motor before getting out to the track. our cars have more than enough hp for a beginner on track and even someone with experience will tell you a ton of hp isn't necessary. the big thing for getting out on track with a lack of experience either in a specific car or on the track at all is to leave the car alone and get out there. learn how to drive first, get a good amount of track time under your belt and then once you do that you can start telling where your car needs work. usually in the handling department. hp should be the very last thing you worry about. find your local track day group and go with them or go with your local National Autosport Association through their HPDE program (High Performance Driving Experience). only recommendations for mods prior to going out are make sure the car is mechanically sound, stainless steel brake lines are a must, a slightly more agressive brake pad, and a track oriented brake fluid. then you'll be good to get out there and learn. another thing is if you intend to have the car as a streetable car or not.

Honestly yes I would want the the car to be drivable on the street. I don't have a trailer to put it on so its necessary at this point to move the car to the track under its own power.

ba#97

Reaction score
Honestly yes I would want the the car to be drivable on the street. I don't have a trailer to put it on so its necessary at this point to move the car to the track under its own power.

Do you have track experience? Can the car move under its own power now?

Cpotts13

Reaction score
lets see some pictures of this mysterious mach 1. My suggestion would have been to NOT purchase a mach 1 for auto x. Why? They are to nice (in my opinion) to be slung around a track like that. I would have gone with 99-04 gt or 99/01 cobra. But whats done is done.

Id suggest, like everyone else has, get out there and test the limits in its stock form. See where you would like improvement. I am sure you will find the springs, shocks/struts and subframe connectors are a good start and a great deal better than a GT.

Engine wise; again lets see this mach 1. If its driveable dont fool with it. Your best bet is a set of gears, these motors love high rpms.

ba#97

Reaction score
I still want to know if he's wanting to open track it or not. This isn't the autox section. As for if the car is 'too nice' to take on track, I don't think there is such a thing. But I do agree, take it on track in stock form, no need to mess with it just yet other than making sure your stock brakes are good and your car is in good condition mechanically. Then as stated sub frame connectors and some good springs and shocks are all you really need for a fun dual purpose track toy. Take a look at rich's how to get on track thread.

RichV

Reaction score
I would probably start with chassis, suspension, then brakes. In that order. Assuming it runs, but honestly stock power will be plenty for a novice on any road course. Hell, I'm experienced and 250-300 at the tires is plenty to handle.

So is this a road course build?

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I still want to know if he's wanting to open track it or not. This isn't the autox section. As for if the car is 'too nice' to take on track, I don't think there is such a thing. But I do agree, take it on track in stock form, no need to mess with it just yet other than making sure your stock brakes are good and your car is in good condition mechanically. Then as stated sub frame connectors and some good springs and shocks are all you really need for a fun dual purpose track toy. Take a look at rich's how to get on track thread.

What I mean is I personally dont see a super clean low miles mach 1 getting thrown around a track as a good idea.

What I was saying is that you would find the mach 1 in stock form (factory tokico shocks/struts, factory 600lbs springs and factory subframe connectors) will be a really good start.

ba#97

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I was just saying in my opinion a lot of cars deserve to be taken to the track. Especially performance ones...no matter how rare or clean.

RichV

Reaction score
What I mean is I personally dont see a super clean low miles mach 1 getting thrown around a track as a good idea.

What I was saying is that you would find the mach 1 in stock form (factory tokico shocks/struts, factory 600lbs springs and factory subframe connectors) will be a really good start.

The Mach has factory sub frame connectors?

A road course doesn't automatically trash your car. Yea it's definitely demanding on everything, but at any given event I've been to there are many newer and rare vehicles there from STis, GT500s, M3s, Z06s, Saleens, Mini S, Boss302, etc. All of those performance cars were built for this kind of driving/endurance.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
The Mach has factory sub frame connectors?

A road course doesn't automatically trash your car. Yea it's definitely demanding on everything, but at any given event I've been to there are many newer and rare vehicles there from STis, GT500s, M3s, Z06s, Saleens, Mini S, Boss302, etc. All of those performance cars were built for this kind of driving/endurance.

Yes they do! The mach is pretty well equipped from the factory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ba#97

Reaction score
I want a boss 302 so bad but am just afraid to put it in the wall like the cobra. That being said if I had one, and could trailer it...I'd track the shit out of it. Lol.

RichV

Reaction score
I want a boss 302 so bad but am just afraid to put it in the wall like the cobra. That being said if I had one, and could trailer it...I'd track the shit out of it. Lol.

Don't look at the wall and you won't drive into it! :D

Haven't hit a wall, but have had a few "contacts" with other racers. For the most part in class cars.

ba#97

Reaction score
Don't look at the wall and you won't drive into it! :D

Haven't hit a wall, but have had a few "contacts" with other racers. For the most part in class cars.

Lol, I've made sure to avoid looking at the wall at Thunderhill ever since, and I take a little different line as well through there....ha. If I ran wheel to wheel I'd expect some car to car contact, as long as it didn't do too much damage I'd have fun with it too!

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the motor. Tires, suspension, chasis, brakes, aero, etc. For road course esp. w/ minimal driving experience (like me) adding power to your motor won't do you any good.

Open tracking your car won't trash it. Look at a shelby club meet; 95% of the cars out there are spotless

ReplicaR

Reaction score
95% of Shelby Club meet are barely going over 50% throttle, or at least here in SoCal. Most of them are just doing parade lap pace.

ba#97

Reaction score
aero is on the list as right before motor as well to wait for when it comes to learning. it can be considered a crutch for someone trying to learn how to get everything out of a car. plus you won't really know what the aero is actually doing for you if you don't know how the car drives without it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online