Pinging

Downshift

Reaction score
Well im not exactly sure if im pinging or not its a weird sound and it sounds like it to me. And it only does it when I get on it really hard getting on the freeway. Only problem is it is only like 70 degrees out and it still happens and before I changed the stuff below it would do it when it was like 40 degrees out at night. And I have ran nothing but 91 octane in my car for the last year and timing looks to be at about 10.
Ive Replaced the Fuel Filter
Cleaned the Maf
Replaced the Air charge temp sensor
Ran Seafoam
Replaced plugs
New Ford Racing 9mm Wires
And I just put in some Lucas fuel treatment to see how that works

I am kinda running out of ideas here??? I dont really want to do the O2s they look fairly new and are like 60 bucks a pop. :gtfo:

Any Ideas? I am getting sick of it and want to run more timing and have 93 cobra intake and 70mm throttle body ready to go on but doubt that would do anything but make things worse. Thanks.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
what octane gas are you running.... our cars need 93 and up 87 or 89 will just ping like a mofo

ryclef331

Reaction score
You need to be 100% certain what your timing is at. Detonation will kill a motor FASTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE. PERIOD. Even with 91 you should still be able to get by with 10 degrees. Are you SURE what you're hearing is pinging? It sounds like BB's rattling in a coffee can. Again, before you got any further with mods or anything you need to be certain what the timing is at. I didn't see in your sig if you run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or not....if you do, what is your fuel pressure? Get that info and get back to me.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Not running an adjustable fuel pressure regulator... Maybe its time to? For right now is there anyway to see what its at without one? I work at an autoparts store so I can use a lot of different stuff. As for it sounding like bbs in a can I am not sure exactly what that would sound like but i guess. Umm I wanna say its like a grinding but I know its not. It does it when I get on it all the way and it seems to do it around 5k rpms or so and when I hear it if I let off the gas not even all the way just enough to stop accelerating it will stop instantly. Isnt 10 degress timing stock? Thanks for the help guys. And svtblack95 I cant get 93 here in California... but I do run the 91.

ryclef331

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Not running an adjustable fuel pressure regulator... Maybe its time to? For right now is there anyway to see what its at without one? I work at an autoparts store so I can use a lot of different stuff. As for it sounding like bbs in a can I am not sure exactly what that would sound like but i guess. Umm I wanna say its like a grinding but I know its not. It does it when I get on it all the way and it seems to do it around 5k rpms or so and when I hear it if I let off the gas not even all the way just enough to stop accelerating it will stop instantly. Isnt 10 degress timing stock? Thanks for the help guys. And svtblack95 I cant get 93 here in California... but I do run the 91.

It is SUPPOSED to be at ten but have you checked it since YOU bought it? ALOT of things can happen in 12-13 years....

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Tried to check it once but couldnt read the marks. Ill see what I can do about checking that tonight.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I just changed my plugs yesterday and they were all kinda white. Anyway of checking the fuel pressure?

ryclef331

Reaction score
There is a test port on your fuel rail. It looks like a tire "schrader" valve. This is where you hook up a either a fuel pressure test gauge or a permanent underhood guage. Autometer sells a gauge that mounts there permanently for like 20 bucks. Eitherway, your car SHOULD have at least 38-42psi. Was it doing it BEFORE you changed your plugs? As for the timing....crawl under there and find 10degrees advanced, mark it with white paint and also mark Zero. MAKE SURE you're marking the 10 degree mark on the BTDC (Before Top Dead Center) side! Then shoot your timing. Are you running an MSD box of anysort?

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
It was doing it way worse before seems like all the stuff I listed has helped just not eliminated the problem. Example being before all that stuff if I would get on it really hard on the freeway even during winter when it was 30-40 degrees out it would still do it 40-50% of the time... Ok Ill see what I can find at work tonight for a gauge. And ill go do the timing marks too. I also remember that I was thinking my balancer or dampner is going out, whats the difference between those two I feel stupid cause I cant remember which ones which or the difference. I think its goin cause the car kinda shakes while I idle... What can I look for the rubber coming out? No MSD box just the blaster coil and cap and rotor. Thanks for the help ryclef I really appreciate it man.

I was reading on another thread about the ACT not being indexed right.... What the hell does that mean? The it need to point a certain way in the tube or something?

ryclef331

Reaction score
OOOook. If it gets cooler out, your car should be LESS susceptible to detonating. The damper and balancer...are the same thing. You can look at it visually and see if the rubber has started to spit out. The outter counterweight ring can also be loose. It the balancer is going, setting timing does you no good. I don't really think your car is detonating honestly. I'd check out that balancer. if it is good, check the timing. If that checks out, check fuel pressure. Is the Check engine light on?

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Alright I will have to have a friend ride with me and see what they think the noise is. Ill take a real good look at the balancer and the fuel pressure if I can and the timing. It sounds kinda like pinging to me but I could be wrong I just figured since it does it at higher RPMs and my plugs were white and it sounds like a strange metal noise when full throttle then it was pinging haha. Ill check out what I can and get back to you.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
You can't really trust a plug reading unless you pull them right after a run,....if your car has idled or cruised longer than a few minutes after the pull,it would show a lean color due to the computer trying to maintain a stoic afr. You use the word "grinding"....do you fell it in the stick? Worn T-5's are notorious for transmitting engine vibration at high rpms. Typically,if you were to ping,it would be at a higher load table,like around 3500rpms....at the rpm that you say it happens,it makes me wonder if it's fuel starvation...I.E,FPR,worn/lazy injectors,fuel filter or pump,ect.

Also,if the act wasn't index properly,it would only tend to ping at lower rpms...not higher.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
5.0wned said:

Are you in the Sac area. Over here in the Bay Area there is a gas station with 87,93,100 octane. Lemme see if I can get the address and name, they might have one in your neck of the woods.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Well I was thinking about it when I was at work, and I have heard people say pinging sounds like bb's in a can or even a spray paint can and maybe im wrong but is it like rolling bb's around in a can or like shaking them? because if its rolling then it sounds pretty close to that. Before I started replacing everything it would like to ping mostly in 5th gear around 3800-5000 not all at once but at different times thats where it happened and every so often in 4th.

Hey twinscrewed I know you said the act would make me ping at lower if it wasnt indexed right but you got me curious as to what that is anyway. Can ya let me know?

94twinscrew

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Well I was thinking about it when I was at work, and I have heard people say pinging sounds like bb's in a can or even a spray paint can and maybe im wrong but is it like rolling bb's around in a can or like shaking them? because if its rolling then it sounds pretty close to that. Before I started replacing everything it would like to ping mostly in 5th gear around 3800-5000 not all at once but at different times thats where it happened and every so often in 4th.

Hey twinscrewed I know you said the act would make me ping at lower if it wasnt indexed right but you got me curious as to what that is anyway. Can ya let me know?
The ACT typically looks like an arrow head,but some common stock replacements are a 3 legged cover....in between this is a exposed wire. The air passes through the metal cage,and goes over the heated wire...and tranfers it's voltage to the EEC which uses this information to adjust fuel curves and schalers. If the wire isn't in the direct air path,it can skew the air temp readings,which will cause lean conditions. Indexing the sensor allows the incoming air to "pass through" the basket/cage without any obstruction of air flow,which inturn allows it to give proper readings.

The most common issue comes when guys do CIA's and reinstall the ACT wrong,and blaming their pinging problem on the intake,when all along it's the way they improperly installed the sensor. The best way to guaranty the sensor is installed correctly is to use a marker,and make reference marks that point to the outer edges of the cage,(marking on the outside threads). Basically,when reinstalling the sensor,all you have to make sure of,is that one of the new marks points straight up at 12 o'clock,and the other is at 6 o'clock when threaded back into the inlet pipe/tube. You want the sensor's arrow head to be vertical,and not horizontal.....does this help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online