PLEASE HELP! Clanking under drivers-side floorboard and center console

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by kaveman, May 19, 2014.

1. kaveman

kaveman New Member

New to this forum stuff so don't mind my ignorance too much and hopefully this is the correct place to post this.

Any who, I've been noticing a fairly loud clanking coming from under the center console area that can actually be felt with my feet while driving. This only occurs under harder acceleration so I figured it would have something to do with the driveshaft, transmission, or rear differential.

After jacking it up and taking a look underneath I noticed a rather large amount of tar-like oil splattered on the underbody directly above the rear u-joint/differential connection. The driveshaft is also slightly loose and wobbles around a little at the yoke/transmission connection.

I know the general area of the problem, however, I am not sure as to how bad the problem actually is.

Is it simply the rear u-joint and yoke (in which case I would have no problem doing it myself and maybe investing in an aluminum driveshaft finally :grin:)? Or is it something transmission/differential related (what I am weary of)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Calvin

BTW I have a 4R70W automatic trans.

2. Burninrock24

Burninrock24 Active Member

I can't speak for the oil, but a bad U joint will definitely make a lot of noise. It's more of a clunking/thudding noise though to me. Clanging to me would be like dropping a wrench on the ground.

3. kaveman

kaveman New Member

Clunking/thudding was more so what I was getting at....couldn't find the right word to describe it. I have some pictures. When I figure out how to post these darn things hopefully they can be of a little more assistance. U joint was what I was thinking though. Just didn't want to start taking stuff apart and get into more then I can handle.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

4. Burninrock24

For pictures you need to use an image hosting website. I like www.imgur.com because it's lightweight and no BS. Then you use the [​IMG]" without the spaces and without the quotations. And the picture will be embedded into your post.

5. kaveman

kaveman New Member

Great info. Thanks man. Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]

Oil above rear U joint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rz5.0

rz5.0 Legend

Have you checked your trans mount..

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

7. kaveman

kaveman New Member

I peeked at it yesterday when I took those pics. Didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary, but then again I could have missed something....I was in a bit of a rush. I'll check again when I get off work.

8. Burninrock24

Again I can't help you much more with your actual problem, but to get the pics to work link to the direct picture. So for your first one use the url http://i.imgur.com/M6Tcimi.jpg. everything else is right, you just gotta click on the image to get the url to the picture directly thats all!

9. kaveman

kaveman New Member

Sorry its been a while guys I was busy with work and the ride. But thanks for all of the help guys. Turned out rz5.0 was correct with the mount. I threw a new urethane mount and a Stiffler's crossmember on and the noise is gone.