Positive Battery Cable Replacement?

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I'm getting intermission starting issues because my positive battery cable is corroded and just done. I'm ready to replace it but I really can't find a replacement, I rather go new than pull it from a car or something the like.

Where can I find one is basically what I'm asking, and not for some outrageous 300 dollar price tag. It's copper wire, I'm not going to pay that much for a factory replacement.

Anyone else ever come up with something custom? thanks, guys.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
You should be able to just replace the terminal... It's like $5 at autozone for a set of positive and negative

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
The cable itself is deteriorating and corroded, the terminal is fine. The insulation around the copper wire itself is falling off the wire.
So no no on that. Plus I've already replaced it around a year ago and has been ultimately only a temporary fix till about now.

410sn95

Reaction score
Buy length of cable you need, buy the ends, fab up your own. Done.

Above118

Reaction score
they sell cable at autozone,right near the terminals. its where i got mine when i replaced it.

410sn95

Reaction score
I have found the Autozone pre-fab cables gauges are a little on the small side. Fab up your own and run a thick gauge, your starter will like you better.

410sn95

Reaction score
Also if your replacing cable to alternator, don't forget to fuse it... Stock has two fuseable links.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Let me just get this straight, it's going to seem stupid but anyways. the positive battery cable starts at the battery terminal, has one lead to the fuse box next to it and the other to the starter for a total of two lengths of wire. The longest length going underneath the engine from the terminal to the starter. Am I missing anything?

Otherwise, yeah, i'll just 'fab' that up, no problem.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Just wanted to show what I picked up at advance auto for about twenty dollars.
It's 6 and a half feet of 4 gauge wire. However it doesn't specify the gauge wire for the smaller wire but should be fine for the fuse box. and if not I'll recut it.
And if and when I do recut it, I'll atleast be able to shorten it to a more appropriate size.

I'll let you guys know if this fixes my no start problem.

toyman

Reaction score
Just remember there are two parts to this. The positive and negative. Absolutely ensure the battery to engine and engine to chassis grounds are perfect. Having good grounds often resolves a host of other issues as well.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Yea toys right... While you're in there check your grounds... And if you have to replace your positive I'd replace your negative while you're there. If the positive went bad is only a matter of time before the negative falls apart.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I had bought two 4gauge wire copper end links
about a 10'' 4 gauge wire for the +terminal to fusebox
a 78'' 4 gauge wire for the +terminal to starter
and I believe a 36'' 4 gauge wire for the -terminal to engine
Here are some pictures to show the 'final' product.
I probably will shorten the positive battery cable some more to be more snug in the future.
The negative battery cable was a pretty good fit and I didn't consider replacing the starter ground cable, but it was in decent condition so that'll stay as is.

This is the cause of my no start issue

Here you can see the length of the corrosion other than what I just showed and the ground had a few cuts into it from rubbing against the belt

You can actually reach the ground and positive cable at the starter through this hole by removing the wheel. I've never taken the starter off myself, and I could do it, but this seemed more convenient and another alternative to doing that.

A run to the store for a much needed razor blade and tubing for the new wires as the old tubing was cracked and falling off everywhere

The "final" product! I still plan to shorten the positive cable some more and the negative terminal I might change out for a more common style so the grounds are easier to work around when removing the battery. The extra ground is for my aftermarket fan controller along with the extra positive cable on top which I plan to relocate to the fusebox terminal.

Yea toys right... While you're in there check your grounds... And if you have to replace your positive I'd replace your negative while you're there. If the positive went bad is only a matter of time before the negative falls apart.

While it wasn't really needed for me to replace the negative cable, I took your advice and did it anyways for the peace of mind.

Just remember there are two parts to this. The positive and negative. Absolutely ensure the battery to engine and engine to chassis grounds are perfect. Having good grounds often resolves a host of other issues as well.
All my grounds were fine that I'm aware of (location wise), but where is the engine to chassis ground? I'm sure this is probably gone and I'd defiantly love to replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online