power window quit

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but hoping for an easy fix.
1995 GT vert. Last night went to put drivers window up and nothing. Other 3 windows work fine. Assuming all 4 windows are on the same fuse? Guessing either the switch of the motor but figured I'd ask here. Supposed to go to a cruise tonight so don't want to tear the door panel off yet to test it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could be the switch, or the motor, or a bad connection between them. Test the voltage going to the motor and it should show +12v with one way(up/down) or -12v the other way.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
If the Driver side switch let's all the other windows work, 9 out of 10 times it's the drivers door motor. I've replaced 2 motors in my Vert. Passenger front and driver side rear. They're inexpensive on LMR site. But a pain to replace.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
yeah i have replaced them in other cars in the past. was just hoping (but not expecting) that the drivers side might be on its own circuit and just be a blown fuse.
gonna pull that switch real quick and check it so i can get it ordered if that is the issue. if not i'll pull the panel tomorrow night to check the window motor

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Just popped the switch out and tested it and its good. Have power out when hitting the button. so either a wire between the switch and motor or the motor is bad. Not gonna pull the door panel off today in case we go to the cruise tonight. working right now so no time to do it now

07GtS197

Reaction score
Sometimes if you give the door a couple of technical taps, the windows start working again. It’s a common issue with these cars. But don’t go too crazy or else you’ll break the door panel lol. But it’s likely a dead motor. The drivers side is generally used the most.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There are also some bushings that are known to wear out and cause it to lock up. You can replace the bushings with out doing the entire regulator to save money

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
I can't hear any noise when i hit the button so don't think it is trying to do anything. i'll test for power at the motor this weekend. think it is supposed to rain tomorrow night and all day saturday so good time to work in the garage

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Pulled the door panel today and confirmed the motor is bad. Gonna order a new one now then tear it back apart when the new one comes in. fun...lol

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Lot'-o-fun. I had the bushings crunched to bits on the right rear of my vert. Wasn't too bad to fix. But then a few months later the window motor was working but no window movement. Discovered the teeth on my regulator wore down to the point the gearing was slipping. Had to once again open her up and replace the regulator. Hardest part was finding a regulator that still had good teeth! So I would check the teeth wear on yours since your gonna have it opended anyway.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Lot'-o-fun. I had the bushings crunched to bits on the right rear of my vert. Wasn't too bad to fix. But then a few months later the window motor was working but no window movement. Discovered the teeth on my regulator wore down to the point the gearing was slipping. Had to once again open her up and replace the regulator. Hardest part was finding a regulator that still had good teeth! So I would check the teeth wear on yours since your gonna have it opended anyway.
I'm replacing the regulator and motor unit

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Well, I hope the motor isn't locked up on it. If so, it's much harder to replace the whole thing. Mine was and I had to pull the motor before I could remove the regulator. Luckily, I had help to hold the window up so it would'nt just fall.

dalpoas83

Reaction score
Not sure where you’re at on this or what your experience level is so this may seem like an obvious suggestion but have you tried holding the button down and banging on the motor area a little.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Not sure where you’re at on this or what your experience level is so this may seem like an obvious suggestion but have you tried holding the button down and banging on the motor area a little.
I haven't. If it's to that point then it needs replaced anyway but that would have been a nice trick the other day when I got caught out in the rain...lol. But new regulator should be here Thursday but my step-sons '99 GT is in my garage now torn apart. Mine is in my 1 stall garage now and not much room to work on it so it'll wait until his is done getting a front steering/suspension rebuild

cntinuum

Reaction score
What regulator motor assembly are people buying that fits the regular bar that most leave riveted to the window? I have seen that some replacements have a narrower bar.

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Sometimes if you give the door a couple of technical taps, the windows start working again. It’s a common issue with these cars. But don’t go too crazy or else you’ll break the door panel lol. But it’s likely a dead motor. The drivers side is generally used the most.
2nd vote for this.

Mine sticks once a month. The technical taps in the right place get it going again for another 4 weeks or so ..

TMW

GTamas

Reaction score
In a convertible, are the front and rear window motors the same? I see in every store only left and right motors, no word about front or rear...

My left rear won't go up. I hear a faint click from the motor area when I push the button, but nothing else, the motor doesn't sound like trying to move. I will check for power at the motor, but based on the sound I think the problem will be with the motor...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online