Project Roughstang

welltal89

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm building up a '97 V6 base coupe for autocross/track days/cruising. I've had the car for a few months now, but just barely started getting to work on it making it road/track worthy. I got it from my dad who got it from some guy who owed him money. After spending 850 to ship it across the country from LA to Detroit, the first order of business was to look over the car, see what it might need and try to have a plan to get it ready for next season. I put it up on a hoist and looked at the bottom side and found that everything was solid and straight. A good sign of course, but who knows how long that will last out here. The shiny side on the other hand...not so shiny.

c7iuyldczqgwu01iycyk.jpg

The first couple of things to address were to replace the cracked radiator, get the fan working and the trip meter to give me a reading (stuck around 162,000 miles). The trip meter fix was pretty simple, just had to order and install some new plastic gears from latemodelrestoration.com and remove the broken ones rolling around in the cluster. I replaced the radiator shortly after. As far as the switch is concerned, I just wanted to get the thing running on the road without overheating so I just installed a switch and called it until a later date. I currently have a spare CCRM from the junkyard I'll be diagnosing/refurbishing so when that's done, I'll take out the switch.

The next things were standard maintenance items one might perform on a new-to-you car like an oil change, replace filters, adjust the hood latch release so it doesn't stick, replace a vacuum tube at the firewall and fill up with some refrigerant for some much needed a/c.

Then I tackled the inside: cleaning up the interior (found a total of about 5 bucks in change), replacing the window motor, replacing the seat for a manual version. Currently I'm replacing the driver side bottom foam with passenger seat foam from the junkyard, but plans are to take it to an open track day when spring rolls around, so finding a way to clamp the battery down so it doesn't move around and replacing the positive terminal clamp (have to wiggle it around in order to start the car...sketchy (replaced 10/29)) For now I just want to be able to drive it around somewhat comfortably.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=99a2e25bdc6f4ee4a64ba4e36bf2d64d&oe=58891C6C

Just picked up a Corbeau Sprint seat from a co-worker. One step closer to being track ready. Might pick up a 8.8 rear end from the junkyard sometime this week.

eingyrpxxlxqz97hmqhi.jpg

If any of y'all have any suggestions, please let me know!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its going to be a fun project. Nice solid car to start with. Welcome along and keep us updated often

OP
OP
W

welltal89

Reaction score
cnh2tjufsz7dkaggfgjq.jpg

Roughstang parking with it's pony friends (I actually don't know them)

Just an update, not a whole lot done this weekend, I got the adapter brackets to bolt the seat onto the factory rails, but haven't put them in just yet. The Cheap-O battery is giving me issues, so now I have the opportunity to get a genuine Ford Battery so that the factory battery clamp can actually do it's job for once. I cleaned up the exterior a bit, but it still definitely needs work.

OP
OP
W

welltal89

Reaction score
803709454_12526_9648635673846926313.jpg
azud6xecudb7oupnsjdk.jpg

Well, I finally found a new set of the subframe connectors from maximum motorsports for a good deal (guy had bought them a while ago, but couldn't return them)

I think it's time to go to some open track days this coming spring!

OP
OP
W

welltal89

Reaction score
Project Roughstang is dead (and onto another owner)

Enter Project Rustang:

96 5 Speed Mustang GT (pic coming soon)

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey sorry, been away for a bit. Will the Rustang be corner orientated as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online