Proven, dyno-tested, mild 408W combination - specs and pics inside

GearGambler

Reaction score
94kingcbra said:
what kind of transmission, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft and starter would you need to use with a 408?

like venom315R stated, it depends on the application.

The starter is the same on the 302 as it is on a 408, so would be the driveshaft ( yoke may need to be changed for the output shaft of the trans). picking a trans depends directly on how much power the motor makes. TKO comes to mind, viper spec t56, maybe even a G-force thats built right. i know that the RAM power grip (not the HD) will hold up to 475 flywheel hp at the track. flywheel is personal preference, but i would say make sure everything is SFI, including a blow proof bell housing.

94kingcbra

Reaction score
right on, I would think that you would need a high torque starter to turn all that extra weight...Where can you find a 408 longblock and how much compared to a 302?

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
DSS, CHP, RNH all make the engine you are looking for with prices on their sites. Im currently talking to Rick at RNH about the 408W

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Damn Paul...

Look at that torque curve..

That is sick. That car has to be obnoxious from a start.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
LAFENATU said:
Damn Paul...

Look at that torque curve..

That is sick. That car has to be obnoxious from a start.

Yep. I've driven it and ridden in it plenty of times. The car is a riot to drive. Reminds me alot of my old 418 combo that made less hp and more tq.

As stated above, clutch, flywheel, and transmission selection would be the same as any 302 combo that made the same power. (except using a 28 oz flywheel of course)

Spyder said:
Does the AEM and wideband eliminate the need for a maf?

Yes. I hate MAFs.

OnyxCobra said:
That's pretty stout, just seems to me if you're going through the trouble of all that you should go a little more aggressive.

Who cares? The car is fast, fun, and dead nuts reliable. E-builders have taken all the fun out of cars. You don't need some nasty loud annoying racecar that barely idles to have fun.

Paul.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Paul said:
Who cares? The car is fast, fun, and dead nuts reliable. E-builders have taken all the fun out of cars. You don't need some nasty loud annoying racecar that barely idles to have fun.

Paul.

QFT. There are people here with stock mustangs that say go big or go home. I say, just do what you want lol

5litrarag

Reaction score
Very nice. I love the simplicity of a NA stroker..... and yeah ever since the Terminators came out and people started swapping pulleys and 450+ rwhp became a pretty common occurace, everybody has gotten all caught up in reaching a magical number on a dyno. I bet that 380 runs like and smacks around cars that makes much bigger numbers...
Good work. Good solid results.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
5litrarag said:
everybody has gotten all caught up in reaching a magical number on a dyno.

Just like the quote in my sig from Craig Radovich..

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Paul said:
OnyxCobra said:
That's pretty stout, just seems to me if you're going through the trouble of all that you should go a little more aggressive.

Paul.

I agree 100%, i missed the low compression part the first time around anyways. the fact that it's reliable counts huge in my book.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Damn that's a good combo. I bet it is fun to drive. Sounds like a very stout NA motor :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online