Question about verts and HPDE

Ronin

Reaction score
I have yet to by a Mustang, but I'm looking for an 94-98 to drive daily, maybe start taking to HPDE events, and the occasional drag. I'm familiar enough with drag and NHRA's leniency above 11.99, but part of me wants a vert, since my last car was (01 MR2 Spyder). I know they're a bit heavier, and I know verts in general aren't known for their handling compared to their hard top counterparts. My question is will a bar like this: http://www.americanmuscle.com/cldecocoli9b1.html satisfy SCCA tech (and I guess NHRA guidelines as well, since I intend to be sub-13.49).

Slykin

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with SCCA Tech rules, but that gives no structural support at all. It's just a visual mod. I'm guessing you'd have to get at least a 4 point roll bar.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info, though.

slopony

Reaction score
drag racing requires a 6 point cage with door bars on convertibles that run 13.99 or faster.

jabird

Reaction score
Hey, Ronin,
You are okay with a convertible to 14.0. 13.99 to 11.50 you will have to have a 5-point harness, helmet, roll bar with door bars. Maxum Motorsports makes a really nice bar that you can live with. I wouldn't get one unless you can remove the door bars at least. See you at Firebird!

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info jabird. Though my question was originally for HPDE, I will be dragging it, but I ended up not getting a vert.

Your location says Boise, are you relocating to Arizona? Speedworld is usually the place I go to.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
slopony said:
drag racing requires a 6 point cage with door bars on convertibles that run 13.99 or faster.

Please link me to where it says that. I know for a fact thats not true for an IHRA and NHRA Track. Back up the facts.

jabird

Reaction score
Ronin,
No, not relocating anytime soon. Arizona would be great in the winter, though. We also have a Firebird Raceway. Nice drag strip owned by some friends of mine. They do make us follow NHRA rules, and convertibles have many exceptions. Spells it out under the Sportsman section NHRA 2009-2010. You're probably happy you have a coup!

jabird

Reaction score
Duff Daddy,
NHRA 09 rulebook, page 60, Frame: 4, Roll Bar mandatory in all cars running 11.00 to 11.49, and in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49....

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Ronin,

Since Firebird is too far away for me you should just meet me at speedworld. Its closer and the tech inspection is lax :)

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

Reaction score
Yeah, I usually go there too. Their rules in general seem to be lax. And that's where I won $150 in Imports Vs Domestics (trapped at 106 mph in my 300ZX)...there's more humor to the story, if people want to hear it.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
jabird said:
Duff Daddy,
NHRA 09 rulebook, page 60, Frame: 4, Roll Bar mandatory in all cars running 11.00 to 11.49, and in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49....
slopony said:

jabird--- I know exactly what your talking about which is true, ROLL BAR is different then a 5 point cage nd door bars.... that was my point. Im not a newb, but if people are going to post "rules" or "specs" they need to be the right ones, no fables