Radiator R&R

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve gotten to this point:
Upper & lower hoses off or busted loose;
Radiator drained; upper brackets removed.
1. Why is there still coolant up high? Do I need to remove that “S” shaped hose? It’s a tough little bastard! Or bust loose the thermostat housing?; and

2. How do I get this out??

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like you figured it out
Actually, no, I haven’t. I don’t know how to get the remaining coolant out and how to get the plastic tab that’s connected to the radiator fill port on the drivers side out so I can pull the radiator out.

95opal

Reaction score
Actually, no, I haven’t. I don’t know how to get the remaining coolant out and how to get the plastic tab that’s connected to the radiator fill port on the drivers side out so I can pull the radiator out.

Open petcock to drain
Pull lower hose
Pull upper hose
Pull line to overflow
Unbolt top mounting bracket
Lean rad back and pull up and out

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did all that except the last one. I just YouTubed it and learned that I have to remove the battery and get to the underside of the radiator support brace to free up the locator post ( the one in the picture above, next to the battery that looks like a hole!)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got it in; just ordered the rubber isolators from Mishimoto and new overflow tank from LMR. Mine didn’t “seem” too bad, but when I emptied it, a fair amount of brown crap came out from the bottom of it. I used everything I had to rinse it clean, but wasn’t happy with the results so ultimately ordered the replacement.
Managed to lose the 2 screws that hold the fan to the radiator. Quick trip to the local Ace Hardware and resolved:)
After shop-vac’g the coolant out of the thermostat housing, I decided NOT to crack open the housing bolts in an attempt to further drain coolant. Didn’t want to compromise the solid seal by the engine builder.
Meantime, while waiting for stuff to arrive, I’ll take the opportunity to clean up extensively the front of the engine and the radiator core support area.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
This is on my list of winter maintenance - flush/fill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online