Rear axle seals, gears, axles.

Cochise

Reaction score
I had my first HPDE this weekend with the car, it went really well until my 4th heat. I went to check the brakes to see how much pad I had left, and when I check the rear I noticed the inside barrel of the wheel had oil/grease/fluid of some sort. I fear it was a brake leak but after lifting the car and inspecting it appears that it's most likely the axle seals. Not too big of a deal but obviously it ruined my weekend on track. Now on to the questions and there are plenty!

1. Since I'm going to have the seals/bearings replaced, would this be a good time to replace the axles?

2. If its a good idea to replace the axles? is 31-spline necessary, or is 28-spline sufficient? This is a HPDE/Road coarse car and I won't be any crazy launches on drag slicks, hence my question.

3. The car has 3.73 gears, it was like that when I bought it. I'm contemplating going with 3.55's with a Torsen LSD. Any thoughts on this? I was at Barber MSP this weekend and I feel like 3.55's would be better suited for that course and even more suited for courses like NCM and Road Atlanta.

Future plans for the car, in this order are...

1. Full street/track suspension with PH bar from MM.
2. Coyote swap with T56
3. Eventual aero-kit and body work/paint to make it look, well, nicer. Haha!

Reaction score
Yes absolutely change to 31 spline axles and the Torsen LSD center section will be great for road racing. To be honest if u plan on going all out with the rear you should finish it up with c-clip eliminators.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If the goal is a coyote swap. Keep your 373. The new 5.0 is a higher rom engine. The 373 may be where the engine lives within the torque and best power range

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online