Rear Chatter and Gear help/Info

Ballistic

Reaction score
I traded some work at a ford dealership and im thinking about having them change my gears, but want to make sure i have them do everything i can while they got it open and apart.

Since day one when my Grandpa bought the mustang (now mine) it had a rear chatter not sure why he never took it back for warranty, a buddy at ford thought it was a the rear clutch pack, it will chatter at a really low rpm and when im at about 30mph and then like 70ish mph, if i put it in 2nd when im doing like 20-40 i never get the chatter. When i was getting some work done at a shop they told me about an additive and while they were working on it i had them add some and it didn't fix anything they said it may need more but you cant add too much..

Anyone else ever have this problem?

And what else should i replace while its all apart? And what are your guys takes on adding the Ford Racing aluminum rear differential cover Will it fit mine without modding stuff or are there better ones?

What about these Ford Racing Rear Gear Super Install and/or Rear Axle Bearing & Seal Kit?

And im thinking about 4.10s, Wondering how bad it is on the freeway doing 80mph or more? (I don't drive a lot on the freeways to really care about saving gas but im curious about it)

Car Info:
97 GT Auto

Thanks!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I traded some work at a ford dealership and im thinking about having them change my gears, but want to make sure i have them do everything i can while they got it open and apart.

Since day one when my Grandpa bought the mustang (now mine) it had a rear chatter not sure why he never took it back for warranty, a buddy at ford thought it was a the rear clutch pack, it will chatter at a really low rpm and when im at about 30mph and then like 70ish mph, if i put it in 2nd when im doing like 20-40 i never get the chatter. When i was getting some work done at a shop they told me about an additive and while they were working on it i had them add some and it didn't fix anything they said it may need more but you cant add too much..

Anyone else ever have this problem?

And what else should i replace while its all apart? And what are your guys takes on adding the Ford Racing aluminum rear differential cover Will it fit mine without modding stuff or are there better ones?

What about these Ford Racing Rear Gear Super Install and/or Rear Axle Bearing & Seal Kit?

And im thinking about 4.10s, Wondering how bad it is on the freeway doing 80mph or more? (I don't drive a lot on the freeways to really care about saving gas but im curious about it)

Car Info:
97 GT Auto

Thanks!

All the parts you posted up there are nice. The diff cover looks good and I think it adds some rigidity to the axle housing, but im not real sure on that. It is real nice to be able to add oil from the rear though. As for the install kit and bearing kit, I have done a few sets of gears and any time I do them I always make sure to have the master install kit with bearings and seals. Takes all the guess work out of it when it comes to the condition of the old stuff.

For what gears to use, I have always been told if you have an auto go with 4.10's and if you are 5spd go with the 3.73s. I had 3.73 in my car with a 5spd and interstate driving was no problem. Im sure someone will chime in with a little more insight. Good luck with the install.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
All the parts you posted up there are nice. The diff cover looks good and I think it adds some rigidity to the axle housing, but im not real sure on that. It is real nice to be able to add oil from the rear though. As for the install kit and bearing kit, I have done a few sets of gears and any time I do them I always make sure to have the master install kit with bearings and seals. Takes all the guess work out of it when it comes to the condition of the old stuff.

For what gears to use, I have always been told if you have an auto go with 4.10's and if you are 5spd go with the 3.73s. I had 3.73 in my car with a 5spd and interstate driving was no problem. Im sure someone will chime in with a little more insight. Good luck with the install.

Good to hear, didn't even notice the Gear Super Install kit had the rear axel and bearing kit included.

Anyone know anything about the rear clutch pack?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Thanks, and about the clutch pack is that known to make it feel like its chattering at speeds some speed areas and if its rebuilt should solve the problems?

I had some strange things happening when my clutches went bad out back. It was chattering and sometimes would squeal. I can't say for sure it would fix your problems but from what you are describing sounds real similar to what mine did. If you are doing gears anyway, you should go ahead and replace the clutches.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Pulled the plug today and ordered gears and everything it needs. They are gonna check out the clutch packs when its all apart. Should have the parts next week and then set up a time for install probably after the new year.

Wheels will be ordered within the next month, not going to put them on until spring, dont want rock chips from snow and shit..

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like its never been rebuilt if its been doing it since day 1...

Plan on a diffy rebuild kit and fluid at the least.

the third member is just like any other part to your car, you can spend as much money as you want on it....

If you want to spruce it up, gears and the diffy girdle are usually the next step.

After that, hardened axles and c clip elimination kit.

After that, welded axle tubes.....

The list goes on and on.... lol

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT look what the cat dragged in. Welcome welcome to our casa [MENTION=10830]MustangChris[/MENTION]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott