Rear end dogtracking

iamscomar

Reaction score
I noticed the rear tires are wearing oddly.Upon further investigation ,I realized the tire on one side sits a half inch or so further forward than the other side.I can't see anything bent or noticeably wrong.Does anyone have any suggestions of where I should start?Maybe control arms?

Grizzy

Reaction score
Do you have adjustable control arms? I would start by lifting the car up and start looking at the control arm mounts. More then likely bad bushings or wallowed out mounting holes is my guess. If you visibly don't see anything start measuring and compared side to side.

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
They are just the stock nonadjustable control arms,I will check out the bushings.It sounds like a good place to start as this car was not maintained before I bought it.I might end up buying some nice control arms for it if I determine it is the problem.Thanks for the advice.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most recommendations go with a nice strong set of lowers, and stock replacement uppers.

If you determine it to be the control arms that is. I would make sure everything is properly tightened down and in order back there first.

Hopefully the axle is not bent.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If it's the control arms I may know someone who's got a nice set for sale...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
I hope it is not an axle,I thought of that as well.I did hydroplane sideways through a yield sign a couple years back,but hopefully I would have noticed it before now.Also I will keep this post in mind if I do need control arms.Thanks everyone for the advice.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When they align our cars they don't even use the back sensors though

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They don't unless you have the irs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thrust angle should be the first thing measured on an alignment. Its the least often adjusted but pretty sure its in the basic measurements needed to get the fronts aligned. Just because it isn't normally adjusted doesn't mean it can't be.

fran5o

Reaction score
When they align our cars they don't even use the back sensors though
They do use them. The front end alignment is based off of the rear measurements. The rear is just not adjustable. If there is an issue in the back, it can be seen during the alignment process.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
I just had it aligned awhile back and haven't driven it much since.Although I am not sure how competent they were,it does drive better since(its not road crazy like it was).

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They do use them. The front end alignment is based off of the rear measurements. The rear is just not adjustable. If there is an issue in the back, it can be seen during the alignment process.

Yes I know, was just making a SRA joke.

(just got the car aligned yesterday)

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
My car is a 130,000 miles Cobra so who knows how it was driven before I got it.

I had my car aligned last year after I replaced all of the suspension with high performance parts. In the rear I did upper and lower control arms. the alignment shop I went to showed me that the thrust angle was off.

The tech was an older guy who really seemed to know his stuff. He adjusted the angle as much as he could and the car drives much better now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msaeva