rear seat subwoofer setup?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey guys.. well im prolly going to buy me a single 10" kicker L5 and im wanting to just mount it on something that would be LIKE a rear seat delete panel.. but i want to make use of my seats still..

what im trying to explain is like a piece of MDF board behind the rear seats folded up (not visibile from the cabin because of seats) mounted to the back of the seats (or the metal outlining the seats) and then put an amp and subwoofer on it.. so the sub would be facing the cabin and the amp would be mounted on the MDF board.. anyone have a HOW TO? or some pics with instructions or just basic pictures to help me? i dont mind buying a box but i would rather do this for a cleaner look and possible save of trunk space.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i found this setup.. anyway you guys think i could do this and also still use my rear seats??

<a href=http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=644540>Subwoofer Seat Delete</a>

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think it would be OK Trey as long as it is recessed back into the seat-back area where they could be locked in the upright position. Should pound the heck out of anyone riding in the back

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
yeah i was thinking it would have to be recessed.. idk how to go about doing this though.. should i just cut a thin strip of MDF and bolt that to the seat back or w/e then bolt it to the main MDF board holding the sub and amp? and seal it?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
yeah i was thinking it would have to be recessed.. idk how to go about doing this though.. should i just cut a thin strip of MDF and bolt that to the seat back or w/e then bolt it to the main MDF board holding the sub and amp? and seal it?

you got me there Trey I dont want to tell you anything wrong, we need a system expert to come in here and school us on this ;D

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wait Im kinda confused, you want to do the rear seat delete but still use the seats right? ???

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Fets said:
Wait Im kinda confused, you want to do the rear seat delete but still use the seats right? ???

check out that link he put donw and go down close to the bottom of the page you will see a pic of what Trey is looking to do

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah but I thought he still wanted to use the seats? I dunno, but I'd be scared to have the setup around were I live, that just screams steal me! (Like 5 min from my house turns into the ghetto :( )

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Fets said:
Yeah but I thought he still wanted to use the seats? I dunno, but I'd be scared to have the setup around were I live, that just screams steal me! (Like 5 min from my house turns into the ghetto :( )

yea he still wants to keep the seats in there too, Steal me .......that sucks :(

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hopefully my stuff wont get stolen.. i have a DVD player in my car and have had it for about 2.5 years and its been fine... (knocks on wood)

i live in the 2nd or 3rd richest county in texas so im not really tooo to worried about it. doesn't mean my alarm wont be installed this summer and armed though.

also, not trying to brag, its just fact. my family is no where even close to being the richest in our county lol... i just dont want to sound like im stuck up cause im not.. and i have nothing to be stuck up about.. im going to stop rambling.

just bought a

Kicker S10L5 L5 Sub Car Audio 10" L5 Dual 2 ohm Sub (900watt max/ 450rms plenty for my application)

Kicker ZX750.1 750 Watt Class D Amplifier w/ Remote Bass Control

ill post pics when i recieve it.. :dancing6:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

OH anddddd fets, i do want to retain my seats in my car.. i just want the sub on a piece of MDF board bolted behind the seats..

Free-Air system as its called, MDF board and open ended enclosure, trunk acts as the box

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
now the question is, can i still use the Mach460 setup + sub and amp?

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
hopefully my stuff wont get stolen.. i have a DVD player in my car and have had it for about 2.5 years and its been fine... (knocks on wood)

i live in the 2nd or 3rd richest county in texas so im not really tooo to worried about it. doesn't mean my alarm wont be installed this summer and armed though.

also, not trying to brag, its just fact. my family is no where even close to being the richest in our county lol... i just dont want to sound like im stuck up cause im not.. and i have nothing to be stuck up about.. im going to stop rambling.

just bought a

Kicker S10L5 L5 Sub Car Audio 10" L5 Dual 2 ohm Sub (900watt max/ 450rms plenty for my application)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

OH anddddd fets, i do want to retain my seats in my car.. i just want the sub on a piece of MDF board bolted behind the seats..

Free-Air system as its called, MDF board and open ended enclosure, trunk acts as the box

I gotcha :) thats gonna pound!!
Where'd you order from?

[TxCobrA98 said:
]
now the question is, can i still use the Mach460 setup + sub and amp?

Im using the mach460 and 2 subs and an amp. I had to splice into the wiring harness though from the head unit

waltnono

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]

just bought a

I knew people that stole stuff and thoses are the areas they would go looking for stuff and when you car isn't at home. I stayed in a very nic area but my stuff got stole when I we out one time. Make sure that you have a good alarm and don't you have tint on ur car? On the sub, I don't think you would get the sound that your expecting. The L5 if I'm correct is spec for a mid size seal encloser or about a 3 cubic ft ported encloser. They are not made for a infinite baffle(free-air), you could use the kicker competion or polk but the L5 in a free air would not perform. I couldn't check the link for the example system cuz my job has a block on that site. If you want to show off the sub with the back seat down you could build a box flush to the opening that would look nice but again I can view the link so I don't know exactly what you looking 4.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
thanks walt! that is good information. i may do that idea with the flush BOX enclosure... might work out pretty good.

im not really going for loudness, i just want to feel the thump and i want to hear it.. i want the clarity and good sound.

thanks for the info guys!

waltnono

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
thanks walt! that is good information. i may do that idea with the flush BOX enclosure... might work out pretty good.

im not really going for loudness, i just want to feel the thump and i want to hear it.. i want the clarity and good sound.

thanks for the info guys!
Yeah if you bought the sub already then I would go with the sealed box. With the amp you'll a nic setup, that L5 is very versatile, if you want clarity then you'll get it if you have a good amp. I remember see'n pic of ur car. The reason I asked if you have tint is because it would help hide ur set-up.

[NIGH7MAR3]

Reaction score
try something like this that way the sub still has airspave and you will never see it unless you fold down the seats no the greatest pic i have but i made it so maybe itll explain it its a box that fits the ho,le behing the seat that everything will mount to and is ressesed

hgjmvnbvn.jpg

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
wtf, this thread is lacking the famous words, "sawzall" :aresehole:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
im not worried about my stuff being visible because ill have the seats folded over it... so nobody will no its there..

here is a mock up of what i want it to look like...

kickersetup.jpg

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i might also buy a fanless laptop cooler and put it under the amp to keep it cooler. or maybe have the fans sitting on the other side of the laptop cooler to draw heat away from the amp. because with the seats up and a fanless class D amp, im sure that it is going to get hot...

waltnono

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
i might also buy a fanless laptop cooler and put it under the amp to keep it cooler. or maybe have the fans sitting on the other side of the laptop cooler to draw heat away from the amp. because with the seats up and a fanless class D amp, im sure that it is going to get hot...

With a D class you don't have to worry about heat like the analog. Thats one benefit of the design is that is produces less heat so you don't need that much air flow. All you would need to do is just flip the seat down if ur going to have the system at full power over a long period of time. I like the set-up, I'm going to design mine something like that but I won't have the amp show'n.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online