Rear sway bar drop with aftermarket LCAs - anybody have an issue?

PinkieT

Reaction score
My wife's GT's suspension bushings were all shot. I had a set of aftermarket lower control arms I was going to put on my car when I swapped in the Cobra axle, so gave them to the shop to put on instead of putting new bushings in the factory arms. The rear sway bar ended up a lot lower than stock by at least two inches - it bolts to a tab on the bottom of the tubular aftermarket arm instead of the middle of the factory stamped arm. The car isn't lowered. Anybody have issues with the rear sway bar being scraped over stuff in the road? My car is stock so once hers is back in the garage I'll take pics and post them if you think they would help. I hate to go with no rear sway bar. Any aftermarket bars designed to address this issue? Should I just not worry about it at all?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've never heard of this creating any sort of issue. MM does sell rear away bars that attach to the body instead of the LCA's if you're that concerned. This also takes a lot of stress off the LCAs

thetrex

Reaction score
My aftermarket LCA's have the same method of attachment as yours (tab on the bottom of a tubular arm). I've run my stock rear sway bar for a couple of years now with no problems and no scraping.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I ran OEM style bar with MM lower control arms. I've never once had an issue scraping on anything. End of discussion.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I have MM control arms and an Eibach sway bar. I have never scraped the bar. The K member brace yes, but not the rear bar...

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I ran OEM style bar with MM lower control arms. I've never once had an issue scraping on anything. End of discussion.

Comparing her car with the aftermarket LCAs to my stock car, her bar hangs well below the differential and is 5.5 inches above the pavement. Mine is 8 inches and tucks up above the bottom of the differential. Discussion not over.
hers_zps92xdiks7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Hers

mine_zpsm5fnwhbj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Mine.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
You'll be fine. Mine looked the same. 0 issues. Unless you're going rock climbing any time soon.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Honestly it looks like the bar is upside down causing it to be too low, but I can't quite make it out on my crappy monitor. DO you have pictures of where both bars attach, like the bend point of the bar area?

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Honestly it looks like the bar is upside down causing it to be too low, but I can't quite make it out on my crappy monitor. DO you have pictures of where both bars attach, like the bend point of the bar area?

The bar on hers bolts to the control arm then bends down, exactly like on the factory control arm. We tried flipping the bar but it curved up and hit the spring mount.

wmfateam

Reaction score
The bar on hers bolts to the control arm then bends down, exactly like on the factory control arm. We tried flipping the bar but it curved up and hit the spring mount.
Okay. I have no rear sway bar so I couldn't remember the orientation on any control arms. That is a little weird.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DKblue98GT

Reaction score

I have tried it both ways too, same story But it's never been an issue.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Its normal, both my J&M lowers made the swaybar sit lower. I'm slammed so I scrape the swaybar occasionally.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Here is my Eibach Sway Bar bolted to the MM LCA's You can clearly see the bends that sweep it up close to the underbody....I don't think yours does that....???

2012%20Shots%20037_1.jpg

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Mine is the same. After looking at Mustanger's car I need to paint my gas tank cover and straps...

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
BBK puts an angle on the mounting bolt pattern on theirs, according to the pics I've seen. From what I've read bending a solid sway bar isn't advisable - it would take heat and create a weak spot that would have to be heat treated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online