Rear Sway Bar Transplant

Gemini

Reaction score
Next time I head out to the Junk Yard I'll be grabbing a rear sway bar off of one of the several GT's they've got out there.

What are some other Noob-Friendly candidates for transplant from the GT to a base model?

Thanks Guys!

*edited to clarify the title

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
The engine/wiring/ECU, exhaust, transmission + crossmember, driveshaft and rear end would be a great start :cool:

Seriously, unless you're looking to V8 swap the car, there isn't much difference in the two mechanically.

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
I've looked at the exhaust on all of them... the Catalytic Converter guys have all cut those out already... I'd LOVE go to dual exhaust for the horsepower it would add (if I understand that correctly) but those are done.

I'm blessed with the 8 inch rear end already.

I'm nowhere NEAR mechanically capable of doing a V8 Swap. Some of the stuff just getting it up to the Haynes 60k tuneup has REALLY pushed me.

I've already swapped a bunch of other parts out for bad or suspected bad parts, next stop is that Sway bar, a seatbelt holder for the drivers side seat and possibly a lovely leather wrapped steering wheel (black so it matches my interior).

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It will literally pop right in place. Easy peasy. The exhaust is easierr to just have a shop whip one up.

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
On the other hand.... having a car with a little less horsepower with a teenager in the house might not be the worst thing in the world either :)

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
On the other hand.... having a car with a little less horsepower with a teenager in the house might not be the worst thing in the world either :)

Five years from now you’ll look back and marvel at how much your mechanical prowess has improved by owning an older car.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
foglights, front sway bar may be larger...measure yours then compare; look for lowering springs; when you get the rear sway bar, get the bolts and slip/clip nuts to go with it to mount easier and faster than finding bolts.

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
White95... I look back 5 MONTHS and am surprised!
Snakebit... YES! I usually grab all of the associated hardware with a Junk Yard part but I'l make SURE to bring those out too.

Is the base model front sway bar different than the GT? (the more you learn...)

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
there is what is supposed to be on the car, then what is on the car. whatever they pulled off the shelve when the car went thru. so again, measure yours and then see what is in the boneyard that might be bigger. if it is bigger, then you will need to pick up that size bushing to mount it.

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Wound up with a rear sway bar (installed), a set of head-rest seatbelt holders (installed) and a leather steering wheel, got that installed TODAY and it's wonderful!

Changed out the transmission filter yesterday and my shoulders are KILLING me today :D

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wound up with a rear sway bar (installed), a set of head-rest seatbelt holders (installed) and a leather steering wheel, got that installed TODAY and it's wonderful!

Changed out the transmission filter yesterday and my shoulders are KILLING me today :D

How long did it all take? And by how long I mean how many beers and cuss words??? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Sway bar was tougher to to take off than to put back on... Junkyard doesn't have the same carpet pieces to park my tookus on that I have at home. Call it half an hour.

Head Rest seatbelt holders were cake, I had done the coat hanger/removal thing on the head rests already so that was just 4 screws... 10 minutes

The steering wheel took an hour but I had the benefit of a few REALLY good youtube videos (the modern mans apprenticeship on ANYTHING). I spent more time scrubbing the leather clean than doing the install.

The transmission filter, THERE are where the challenges came in. I'm a big guy (fat) so it took quite some doing to get the car up high enough for me to get underneath it, even then I was REALLY stretching to get some of those bolts out without having to get up, back down and slide underneath 24 times to do the job. Everything went smooth mechanically (again, thanks youtube) all told it was 3 hours or so.

Already had the trans. filter and gasket, walked into the junkyard at 11:00a and parked the car after the test-drive at around 7:00p. Don't recall any actual cursing but being wedged under the car and 'feeling' for every bolt after I knocked my container over did suck out loud...

Trumans Triange: Good, Fast, Cheap... pick two. I try to be good and cheap so I ain't gonna ever be very fast :)

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No beer??!!?? I don’t know how you did it with out beer and a few select words. Something about a wrench in my hand instantly sparks my desire to have a cold one and the select words just flow as naturally as the next or of the gods.

But yet after all of that and the cuts and scrapes I always feel less stressed and more accomplished. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
I DO enjoy the feeling of moving things off of the to-do list and onto the DONE list.
Oil and filter change, fuel filter change, tracked down some wheel center caps, working cigarette lighter and some convertible top trim pieces at the Junkyard. Not too bad. Time is short I take it to TX to give away in 3 days time...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online