Rebuilding my Old 94 GT

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
I can only imagine running the stage 1 on a stage 2 tune caused some problems so I'm kinda happy about the unseen cam upgrade even though I'm a bit upset about the fact it was supposed to be that cam shaft when I bought it. I just dropped off the TF stage 2 cam specs at the machine shop. my machinist doesn't care for trick flow products apparently and is going to get the same spec cam/lifters from comp cams instead. Also when I expressed my concerns of potential problems he assured me it would be fine. So are you talking about idle problems or clearance issues (be specific) from added lift or what?

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I would imagine that putting in a cam that is closer to what the ecu is tuned for would solve more problems than it would cause. Either way, if you put in a stage two spec'ed cam, and have to get a new tune, at least you upgraded. But I think that putting in a cam that matches your base tune should allow you to get it running right.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
I went on comp cams website and found this http://www.compcams.com/WhatsNew/Files/comp-customcamgrinds.pdf I called them up and they said they could make a cam with the same specs as the TF stage 2 with the cam info that I gave to my machinist. Pretty cool stuff though and they don't charge extra for customizing! So needless to say that will be kinda weird explaining to people that my cam is a comp cams with TF stage 2 specs.

Addermk2

Reaction score
You guys don't really understand how this all works. That much is apparent.

OP, your combo is about the worst heap of mis-matched parts I have ever seen. If I were you... I'd stop right now.

And your "tuner" should have notified you of the short-comings of your combo.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
Please extrapolate on the heap of mis-matched parts scenario??? I know certain parts of my combo are restrictive and not the best but I never said I was building the best motor ever, or that I was an race car engine builder. Why don't you go ahead and enlighten us on how this all works, isn't that why there is a forum? Also still waiting on a reply of why going to the stage 2 profile is going to cause a bunch of problems.

Anyways comp cams is going to make me a cam with specs just like TF stage 2 just .002 more intake valve lift so it's not the "same".

Addermk2

Reaction score
Low compression, big displacement, N/A cam that needs higher compression (well, the 2), a ton of money into throw away heads... your combo is so backwards, I'd be surprised if it made more than 265hp.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
Low compression, big displacement, N/A cam that needs higher compression (well, the 2), a ton of money into throw away heads... your combo is so backwards, I'd be surprised if it made more than 265hp.

Ok so I am planning on adding boost that's why the motor has low compression, the heads do not have a "ton of money" put into them at least not by me and as far as I'm concerned are more than enough for a stock block stroker with boost and will work just fine until then. As for the cam it came in the shortblock I bough used, and when I asked what I should change it to earlier you stated

"Might as well just get the same cam. Anything better is probably just going to be a waste with the heads youve got."

If you were trying to convey to me that the choice is not optimal for a low compression motor and perhaps I should get a different cam and base tune, then you should say that instead of bashing my car because it's not how you would do it. I also did not ask for you a HP estimation thats what dyno's are for. This was a budget build in the beginning so I am not expecting to break the dyno. A cam choice doesn't make my combo backwards, I can still choose what cam I do get as I have not confirmed the order quite yet. So If you have an opinion an a particular cam profile that would be optimal for my setup while it is still N/A and would also like to offer me your tuning services that you stated you offer that would be great. Offer up some constructive criticism.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
Willy gets mad when I help his customers.

Well I messaged him a few days ago an still no response, asked him to him to chime in here maybe he hasn't been on the forum. So are you going to answer my cam question (I was thinking of tf stage 1 profile) and perhaps offer me your tuning services...

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
Is your car running right now? If not, contact me when it is.

The motor will be done at the machine shop in a week or so and from there it is headed straight to Marysville speed and custom so they can install it. I was hoping to have a base tune when it came time to fire it up. I see the quartehorse is 250.00, but which software would I need for you to do remote tuning? I am assuming that is route suggested route rather than a just a base tune on a chip. I'm don't know a whole lot about tuning so please bear with me here, and again I really do appreciate your help. Maybe communication would be a bit easier over a phone call?

2002BLGT

Reaction score
Anybody trying to reach me can always email me at [email protected] is best , having a dyno leaves alot less time to get on the forums anymore but my emails get answered 24/7 , my cell is 540-875-8722

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell