Redip chrome rims

94Snake

Reaction score
noticed the start of some corrosion, but it's far enough long that it's already the begining of the end. it's my fault, i didn't take as good of care as i could've but i want to fix it. i called a chrome shop in Atlanta and it would cost 1100 bucks to redip them but they don't have a warrenty on redipped chrome wheels. If i stripped the chrome myself with boratic acid it would cut the cost to 800 bucks. they said they use boratic acid to strip the rims and i think i can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Any thoughts or advice on fixing this issue?

I looked at buying new rims but i can't seem to find exactly what i have anymore, DD rims have taken over or i can't find the rear 17x10.5.

Anybody know of a chrome shop in south Georgia/North Florida that may have better prices?

OP
OP
94Snake

94Snake

Reaction score
no, i bought them through ebay a little over 5 years ago, they came from O.E. Distributors or something out of Sarasota, FL. Rims and tires were only like 1200 bucks shipped.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you thought about having stripped and them powdercoated white. It's gotta be cheaper that 1100 buck-a-roos

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Since they are Not OEM, Dont waste your time with the re-chroming.

Seriously, for the price and time and effort it takes to re-chrome replica wheels you could just buy a new set of wheels.

IMO, I would just buy some other wheels. Replica wheels are cheap. You should just buy some new wheels and then strip/paint the old wheels yourself for Winter rims :)

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
94Snake said:
nah i want to keep the chrome.

Then just buy a new set... or keep shopping for a cheaper chrome shop. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
94Snake

94Snake

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Since they are Not OEM, Dont waste your time with the re-chroming.

Seriously, for the price and time and effort it takes to re-chrome replica wheels you could just buy a new set of wheels.

IMO, I would just buy some other wheels. Replica wheels are cheap. You should just buy some new wheels and then strip/paint the old wheels yourself for Winter rims :)

i didn't see this post before but ya i guess i could do that, like you said these replicas aren't very expensive at all, and just swap them when the weather turns nasty.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
If you want to put a little effort i can find the link i posted to fixing the chrome wheels and painting them:)

Win

Legend
Reaction score
94Snake said:
noticed the start of some corrosion, but it's far enough long that it's already the begining of the end. it's my fault, i didn't take as good of care as i could've but i want to fix it. i called a chrome shop in Atlanta and it would cost 1100 bucks to redip them but they don't have a warrenty on redipped chrome wheels. If i stripped the chrome myself with boratic acid it would cut the cost to 800 bucks. they said they use boratic acid to strip the rims and i think i can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

You can use Muriatic Acid.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4422511_paint-over-chrome-surface.html

1bad95

Reaction score
what about chrome powdercoat? its supposed to look very very like chrome

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online