Repairing scratches on painted wheels

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I got a set of 18x9 black 03 Cobra reps for the stang recently for a steal. Front wheels are in EXTREMELY good shape. No scratches, curb rash, or any paint defects (except the inside of the lug but holes but that's almost unavoidable right?)
The rear wheels however are not as perfect. While they're still in amazing shape both have a few problems.
Don't mind the unfortunately ridiculous amount of pollen. Wiped down the car just yesterday and it's already turned green again...
Drivers side:
PWA52uI.jpg

d5wj76Y.jpg

uMlmFnF.jpg

Passenger side which is a little worse:
XeSYdL0.jpg

TSqh48M.jpg

BdQRGIr.jpg

O2cKu8p.jpg

I found @g36_monkey's thread on repairing curb rash but that's on a polished lip. I'm not sure how to handle the paint.

You'd think the front wheels would be the ones with the problems but whatever. Haha.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Feather them out with 220 until there is no edge to the scrape, sand with 400 until there's no 220 scratches left, respray with whatever black paint you feel fit to use.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
screw that shit man those are not deep so puddy would be my buddy here. It would be easier to sand it flat and you would not have any wavy areas(if done right) around those areas that will show up on the black so easily.

chris91

Reaction score
I'd just do touch-up on those small ones. Keep adding coats until its level. Done it countless times and as long as your color is a match it will turn out fine.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I might try sanding it down a little just to smooth it out and using sharpie.
I'd rather not repaint the entire wheel so if I used paint I'd have to get an exact match. Not sure how I'd begin to get a match for them

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I might try sanding it down a little just to smooth it out and using sharpie.
I'd rather not repaint the entire wheel so if I used paint I'd have to get an exact match. Not sure how I'd begin to get a match for them

Do it the right way and get rid of the rough edge. Driving through the winter will have that chipping back off in no time where you live. Finding a black to match wouldn't be a problem at all. I'll give you a few links when I get home.

EDIT: Listen to the guy repairing powder coated GTR wheels as I type this.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online