Replacement P.O.S 2.0

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Buddy came over this evening and engine #1 is out. Going to pressure wash the engine bay and some other prep work. Getting ready to pull the motor out of the GT, maybe next week.IMG_4681.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

d.garza18

Reaction score
Buddy came over this evening and engine #1 is out. Going to pressure wash the engine bay and some other prep work. Getting ready to pull the motor out of the GT, maybe next week.View attachment 26716

View attachment 26717
Good progress! Make it pretty while it’s out, I was in a rush with mine so I basically put lipstick on a pig and now I’m dying to yank it out and redo it

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Good progress! Make it pretty while it’s out, I was in a rush with mine so I basically put lipstick on a pig and now I’m dying to yank it out and redo it
That's the plan.

Rolled it outside yesterday and soaked the engine with degreaser then pressure washed it. As long it was sitting outside decided to get a pic of the two cars close together.
IMG_4689.JPG

All cleaned up and started to do some painting, you can see my next problem to deal with. The dreaded shock tower/ frame rust problem.
MHFX2906.JPG

weendoggy

Reaction score
That's the plan.

Rolled it outside yesterday and soaked the engine with degreaser then pressure washed it. As long it was sitting outside decided to get a pic of the two cars close together.
View attachment 26729

All cleaned up and started to do some painting, you can see my next problem to deal with. The dreaded shock tower/ frame rust problem.
View attachment 26730
Duct tape will fix that, won't it? :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll have a thoughtful concise course of action to fix that. Just another day in metal.

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Still plugging away at it, everything on hold till I finish the strut tower/ frame rust repair. I know some guys could have both side knocked out in a couple of days but that's not me. I finished the frame repair on the drivers side today and just need to weld in the patch for the strut tower to frame.

Starting with what it looked like. The frame outside and top were still solid, I still capped the top where the bolts come through and wrapped a a peace around the bottom of the frame. There is a 1/8" peace that bridges the frame across the cut out hole on the engine bay side and the bottom wrapped part is welded to that. And just so you know not happy with the ugly welds.

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

Now on to the passenger side which doesn't seem to be as bad but we'll see when I really cutting more out.
IMG_4695.JPG

07GtS197

Reaction score
It doesn’t look bad. If it bothers you that much then grind at it a little more until it’s smooth then shoot it with some paint.

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Well big change of plans and direction. After a conversation with my wife in her wanting me to have a good car to enjoy driving now instead of another summer of rebuilding another car. I bought this car, 2004 GT with lots of upgrades already done to it. BC racing coilovers, tubular K member and A arms, Nitto tires and 18" Saleen style wheels with only 150 miles on when I got it, Flowmaster exhaust and lots of other things. I've put about 500 miles on it in 5 days, driving it home from 3 hours away and 3 trips back and forth to the Street Machine Nationals in St. Paul MN this last weekend.

So the P.O.S #2 car will be still be put back together but not with the good stuff out of the GT, already put the seats, gauge cluster and steering wheel in the new car. This thread will continue with the build and probably now be finished next spring/ summer then probably selling it. The new car I won't start another build thread because no real building going on.

IMG_4730.JPGDSC_0506_lzn.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Still plugging away at it, everything on hold till I finish the strut tower/ frame rust repair. I know some guys could have both side knocked out in a couple of days but that's not me. I finished the frame repair on the drivers side today and just need to weld in the patch for the strut tower to frame.

Starting with what it looked like. The frame outside and top were still solid, I still capped the top where the bolts come through and wrapped a a peace around the bottom of the frame. There is a 1/8" peace that bridges the frame across the cut out hole on the engine bay side and the bottom wrapped part is welded to that. And just so you know not happy with the ugly welds.

View attachment 26990

View attachment 26991

View attachment 26992

View attachment 26993

Now on to the passenger side which doesn't seem to be as bad but we'll see when I really cutting more out.
View attachment 26994
rent a sand blaster at united rentals or hertz or any rental place
blast that shit

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
I'm slowly making some progress on this car. I have the passenger side frame/ strut tower rust rot repair done, was not as bad as the drivers side. On a side note I bought a new multiprocess welder and I can't believe the difference, so much easier to lay down good welds. I also transferred the drivers side engine bay wiring harness. So the process has begun again, really hoping to have the engine, tranny installed and it running in the next 2 weeks.

IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Still chipping away at all the removal on both cars and today was a big day. Last week I finished removing the drive shaft and the exhaust system from the wrecked car, so the engine and transmission are ready to be removed from it. Today I got the dash removed from both cars and the passenger side engine bay/PCM harnesses. Tonight I transferred the pedal assembly over from the wrecked car. So all this time I've been somewhat frustrated with how long this is taking, due to a few things, High heat this summer, I need to take breaks because of my back and .......I've been disassembling two cars at the same time. I'm finally near the end of that process and starting to finally reassemble this car. I've decided to keep this car for now, kind of a daily driver. I needed to determine that because that dictates how I put it back together.

IMG_4798.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Big progress today. Pushing hard to get what I need done before we plunge into the cold months.

This morning with a little assistance from wife pulled the motor/ transmission from the wrecked car. I degreased it and did a few other things to it this afternoon.

IMG_4809.JPG

And this evening with a lot of help from son we got it installed in the other car. Tomorrow will be reconnecting all the wiring and maybe see if it will fire up.

IMG_4810.JPG

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Today I finally got to the point of trying to start it. Everything is hooked up, Clutch cable installed. No fluids other than oil in the engine, no exhaust so no O2's, no shifter or drive shaft. No air intake or MAF or IAT. Moment of truth and dash lights, could hear fuel pump I believe, turn key and just one click or clunk sound, think by starter. Then dash lights go dead and can't repeat this until I disconnect the battery, reconnect and repeats the same thing. Battery is good and fully charged. Great now I get to troubleshoot this, everything was moved over from the other running car, except the wire harness from the dash to the back of car.

IMG_4821.JPG

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you swapped clusters and computers you may have tripped the pats

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
By the way the engine bay cleaned up nice . Looking forward to pulling mine this winter and cleaning up the engine bay .

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Make sure you’ve got all your grounds. Up by the battery, on the engine block, trans tunnel inside unwed the dash, and right below the pcm.
I have the one by the PCM, by the battery and one from engine block to frame. I don't remember other ones or see any not connected but I'll look.

If you swapped clusters and computers you may have tripped the pats
If I swapped the dash and steering column, all the harnesses from the dash forward. Swapped the CCM in the passenger fender and the module in the trunk on the drivers side. Could I still have tripped the PATS, and what are the symptoms of that happening?

The key and FOB from the donor car work, doors lock and unlock with FOB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online