Restoring Polished Aluminium

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How To Restore And Take Care Of
Your Polished Aluminium Rims

Unfortunately, yesterday evening I was in a hurry to clean my rims before I headed out to a local mustang meet. I wasn't paying much attention and grabbed the nearest 'wheel cleaner' I found. I went ahead and sprayed the substance on the wheels and let dry, then wiped off the residue only to find that I had corroded the aluminium. I had used a chrome polish, and it had seriously bled into the aluminium. I tried my alternative wheel cleaner, some windex, and another detailing product to remove the stains left by the chrome cleaner but it made no difference. Today I ended up spending my whole afternoon restoring the aluminium with some products I was recommended by a friend.

Just an FYI: *** chrome polish will not work on polished aluminium wheels ***

Things you'll need:
- Mothers mag & aluminium polish
- Steel wool (fine grit)
- Microfiber towels
- Bucket of water

Here's what the wheel looked like before:

6994373462_48b5408ab5_b.jpg

6994374042_449b8acae6_b.jpg

Can't really tell it's corroded? Here's a better picture:

7140463129_8181222daf_b.jpg

It may look like it could just simply be cleaned off with a wheel cleaner, but the product was on the bare aluminium. It felt smooth to the touch.
I had to take the extra steps to restore my poor wheels. So I bought some mothers mag & aluminium polish as well as some fine grit steel wool.

7140464093_51d0694015_b.jpg

6994374390_c56547ebc7_b.jpg

7140464417_e5e400801a_b.jpg

Now what you want to do is grab a small piece of the steel wool and dip it into the polish.
Then go ahead and thoroughly apply it to the wheel. Use an up & down motion, followed by side to side motion. Circular motions will do wonders as well.
Continue rubbing the wool against the aluminium until the polish begins to turn black. That means it's doing its job correctly.

7140464751_ac3f450d3a_b.jpg

7140465105_cd4130a548_b.jpg

7140465423_cb6b0244f6_b.jpg

Rub the corroded or dirty areas for about 30 seconds with the wool, depending on how dirty it is. My wheels were completely corroded, so I spent an hour per wheel.
Do not apply too much pressure on the wheel with the wool. Start slow and firmly add more pressure as you rub the polish.
Once you are done with the section you are cleaning, go ahead and wipe off the excess polish with a microfiber towel.
If there is too much contamination to remove, dip the towel in a bucket of hot water and remove the excess dirt with a wet towel. Then dry it off using a microfiber.

Here you can see the top portion getting close to done:

6994376396_ff227f8b04_b.jpg

Finally, once you have removed all the dirt, debris, and polish, your wheel should be as good as new.
Here is a before and after:

7140466355_e7563c3cc2_b.jpg

7140466039_9d1bfe190e_b.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
good writeup bub. just remember to get some sealant and a wax over them.

joekd

Reaction score
Powerball mini with a corded drill would of shaved some time off that job

I used to have a set of cheap polished saleens and needed to do them about once a month, powerball was the only thing that kept me from selling them ad being done with the hassle

BTW - I use that same bag of steel wool, had to pick up a new one home depot to clean the old wheel weight marks off the back of my rims this morning

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Powerball mini with a corded drill would of shaved some time off that job
I used to have a set of cheap polished saleens and needed to do them about once a month, powerball was the only thing that kept me from selling them ad being done with the hassle
BTW - I use that same bag of steel wool, had to pick up a new one home depot to clean the old wheel weight marks off the back of my rims this morning

Thats what my friend told me to use as well. However i don't have a either of those so i had to do everything by hand.
It took a really long time, but was well worth it in the end.

I also got my steel wool from Home Depot!

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
Ok so keep in mind Im just trying to help..

Ok so if you want your aluminum to look better then new then here is what you do ..

Wet Sanding ...
First sand the wheels with 1000 grit sand paper

Then sand them again with 1200

Then again with 1500

then again with 2000

Then again with 2500

then get some good aluminum polish and take a makita Varible speed buffer and use a wool pad at 1500 rpms

then take a foam pad with more aluminum polish and buff them at 1500 rpm's

And make sure to alwasy use microfibers only ..

Your wheels will look better then chrome .. P.S I Do this all day long :)

What you did is kinda the same thing good job wheels look good.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a speed buffer so it may be a while before I do that.
I could wet sand and polish it all by hand but that may take a while, since it took me about 3 hours today just to get them back to there original look.

Do you recommend any products to clean them for the meanwhile or should I just do what I did in my write up?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
^^^ I agree. They are at least back to normal now. More polishing is needed but without the #0000 steel wool. They almost have a brushed look now. And don't forget to clean/polish the inside dish of the wheel.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea polishing with steel wool should not be the final step by any means. With a little work you should be able to see your reflection in them again.

2v_takeover

Reaction score
Gotta be careful with bare aluminum. thankfully my wheels are cleared so not as much to worry about besides some products. I would also agree that the wool shouldn't be last step, but you made some good progress by the looks of things. If you keep working at them in a more delicate fashion, they will look like a mirror!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldnt use the steel wool....alpha detailing got it right on the money up there.

Use sand paper up to 2500 grit and a high speed buffer and they will look chrome.

The problem is if you drive the car in the elements they wont stay that way long....thus why I coated my polished wheels black lol

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure theres other ways of doing this, i just found this method to be very cost effective. I payed like $12 for everything. No buffer no nothing.
Of course if you want them to look better than chrome and be protected, everyone should take the extra step to do so.

This is just a basic how-to for anyone who wants to quickly bring back some life into their wheels.
But thanks for all the tips guys, i'll keep them in mind.

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
so im going to polish up my already polished procharger f2 i have that billet aluminum stuff you linked and just using a rag and the cleaner it came out pretty good but i want that glass finish. will doing something like what you did to the wheels work you think ferocious? excuse the noobness i have ZERO experience detailing stuff but i will be doing so on my car starting this next week so ill be asking alot of questions =)

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
Ah dude I am gonna have to try this tomorrow . I only have polished lips on my wheels but it should still work , and cheap to do ..awesome write up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am about to go spend another hour or two on the cobra intake I am polishing. With as much time as I am spending on it I am not stoppin till my shiney head reflects in its super shiney intake.

As they said above a little wetsanding and a quick buff and you would wonder why people get chrome.....

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Knuckles, get some really good aluminum polish and have at it first to see what you get. A buffing wheel will work wonders. You can get some that go in drills or on dremels if you can't afford a full buffer. I use ones on my bench grinder, buffing wheels are like $6 a piece, and it's great for handheld items.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said harbor freight has a bunch of different buffing disks and polishes that can just go in a drill.

miss2slocoupe

Reaction score
dam steven that sucks! im glad you got them fixed and looking good again. If that happened to me i woulda felt sick to my stomach :/ looks amazing though! good job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.