Saleen announces plans to stop building vehicles by end of 2011

MadStang

Reaction score

The years that the Stage 3's were made in 94-98 outperformed the best Saleens of that same model year. Roush was brand new to mustang modifications but only into the second year of production they made a car that is still held on the holy grail. The Roush Stage 3 5.0 was dominant throughout 94-98 IMO. The one place where Saleen didnt have any grasp like Roush did and still does is Suspension and braking.

I was thoroughly impressed looking at what Roush packaged together on just my stage 2 not even the full blown stage 3. I test drove a Saleen as well as my Roush. The Saleen felt sloppy, the Roush was nice and tight. I found out later why. Roush uses there own bushings for the suspension, bumpsteer kit, control arms, subframe connectors, Roush valved bilsteins, and Roush springs. Saleen has what? Tokico dampers and racecraft springs? Leaves a lot to be desired.

All I'm saying is the engineering on Roushes end is much more precise. instead of using off the shelf aftermarket parts, Roush uses there own parts made specifically tailored to all of the components in the system. Saleen did not do that at all.

I will admit, 01-04 is when Roush specifically began to shine, but, the way I look at it, Saleen had been doing this since the fox body era, Roush came in and knocked them off their pedestal fully when the 2001 stage 3 came out of the Livonia Factory.

Don't get me wrong Saleen's look great and they're definitely better than stock but the S351 is the only car that even compares to any of the stage 2's and 3's. I'm proud of the fact that my car pulled greater than a G on the skid pad when it was stock.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I've always loved saleen and I think the New Edge Saleen is one of the sexiest cars ever produced

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
grumpy paul said:
Saleen hasn't made a car or a product (except the S7) that appeals to me in a LOOOOONG time, so I don't really care.

However, the S351 is, IMO, one of the coolest mustangs ever built.

The S7 is by far the coolest car I've ever gotten a ride in... I have to admit the Saleen Raptor was bad ass but never went into production. I've never actually been in a roush before.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I don't know what there is to not like about this car! I guess it just boils down to a difference in taste...but I think this is drop dead gorgeous!

2009frostylake029a.jpg

cuttingrass.jpg

Slykin

Reaction score
Not a fan of that Roush up there^^^ but i'd still (in general) rather have a Roush. Saleens have always seemed too flashy for me. I don't really care that Saleen went under, SMS is making some nice stuff and SMS I believe is managed by the former owner of Saleen. Same guy, he just left the original company.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mustanger said:
I don't know what there is to not like about this car! I guess it just boils down to a difference in taste...but I think this is drop dead gorgeous!

The fake holes in the rear bumper and Jay Leno chin are a start...

Slykin

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Mustanger said:

Yeah, the fake holes and wheels killed it for me.

OP
OP
T-5 Killer

T-5 Killer

Reaction score
MadStang said:
The years that the Stage 3's were made in 94-98 outperformed the best Saleens of that same model year. Roush was brand new to mustang modifications but only into the second year of production they made a car that is still held on the holy grail. The Roush Stage 3 5.0 was dominant throughout 94-98 IMO. The one place where Saleen didnt have any grasp like Roush did and still does is Suspension and braking.

I was thoroughly impressed looking at what Roush packaged together on just my stage 2 not even the full blown stage 3. I test drove a Saleen as well as my Roush. The Saleen felt sloppy, the Roush was nice and tight. I found out later why. Roush uses there own bushings for the suspension, bumpsteer kit, control arms, subframe connectors, Roush valved bilsteins, and Roush springs. Saleen has what? Tokico dampers and racecraft springs? Leaves a lot to be desired.

All I'm saying is the engineering on Roushes end is much more precise. instead of using off the shelf aftermarket parts, Roush uses there own parts made specifically tailored to all of the components in the system. Saleen did not do that at all.

I will admit, 01-04 is when Roush specifically began to shine, but, the way I look at it, Saleen had been doing this since the fox body era, Roush came in and knocked them off their pedestal fully when the 2001 stage 3 came out of the Livonia Factory.

Don't get me wrong Saleen's look great and they're definitely better than stock but the S351 is the only car that even compares to any of the stage 2's and 3's. I'm proud of the fact that my car pulled greater than a G on the skid pad when it was stock.
Maybe it is me who is mistaken I had no idea Roush made built up cars in 94-98 beyond the bodykit,suspension and exhaust what did they have done HP wise beyond the cowl induction hood/intake?

ttocs said:
T-5killer " Steves new company SMS is looking pretty good with a line up of modded pony cars from each of the big 3" - SMS is NOT part of the saleen that makes mustangs.
Hence why I said his NEW company SMS...

MadStang

Reaction score
T-5 Killer said:
MadStang said:

Maybe it is me who is mistaken I had no idea Roush made built up cars in 94-98 beyond the bodykit,suspension and exhaust what did they have done HP wise beyond the cowl induction hood/intake?

Roush CNC Ported GT-40 Heads, Roush Intake Manifold & TB, Roush Fuel Rails, and Roush Valve Covers. Roush claims 140HP over stock 302's...

Dysfunction

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Mustanger said:

I'm with you. Looks have always been with Saleen for me. Sn95 Roush is horrendous. New Edge Roush is better, but I'm still not a big fan. And s197... I've always not really liked the car in general. I do love the Saleen New Edges, but, IMO the best looking, meanest mustang is the simple Termi. SVT nailed those. And a stock terminator will always look better than a Saleen, Roush, or Steeda in my mind.

I love simplicity when it comes to Mustangs. Proof is in the picture in my mind. It's got wheels, and it screams I'm going to eat you. I'd much rather have a Cobra emblem on the side of my car than an after market name. But like anything, it's all opinion.
red-cobra-mustang.jpg

OP
OP
T-5 Killer

T-5 Killer

Reaction score
MadStang said:
T-5 Killer said:
MadStang said:

Roush CNC Ported GT-40 Heads, Roush Intake Manifold & TB, Roush Fuel Rails, and Roush Valve Covers. Roush claims 140HP over stock 302's...
With that it is faster than the S351-R which is a Cammed, Edelbrock headed, Vortech S Trim supercharged 351w? I have seen S351-Rs run 12 flat up here with a super mild launch (I am at 5000+ Feet AGL so take off a second or a second and a half depending on the temp of the day.With this hot high desert air out DA is usually around 7k ). I just don't see a 350+ HP Roush beating a 480+HP S351. But HP isn't everything LOL. I am very interested in getting more info on the Stage 3 SN-95 Roush cars any good links or books you recommend?

MadStang

Reaction score

T-5 Killer said:
MadStang said:
T-5 Killer said:
MadStang said:

At that is faster than the S351-R which is a Cammed, Edelbrock headed, Vortech S Trim supercharged 351w? I have seen S351-Rs run 12 flat up here with a super mild launch (I am at 5000+ Feet AGL so take off a second or a second and a half depending on the temp of the day.With this hot high desert air out DA is usually around 7k ). I just don't see a 350+ HP Roush beating a 480+HP S351. But HP isn't everything LOL. I am very interested in getting more info on the Stage 3 SN-95 Roush cars any good links or books you recommend?

no the Roush isn't faster but once again Saleen outsourcing parts instead of building something all Saleen. Roush always has used there own equipment for there cars. Just my opinion of course.

My source for all that is 94-98 is Roushinator lol. he owns a Stage 3 and knows a LOT about the sn95 vehicles.

Sinned83

Reaction score
[quote
no the Roush isn't faster but once again Saleen outsourcing parts instead of building something all Saleen. Roush always has used there own equipment for there cars. Just my opinion of course.

My source for all that is 94-98 is Roushinator lol. he owns a Stage 3 and knows a LOT about the sn95 vehicles.
[/quote]

Yeah it definitly seems like Roush spends a lot more time and money in R&D than Saleen did.

OP
OP
T-5 Killer

T-5 Killer

Reaction score
djk83 said:

Yeah it definitly seems like Roush spends a lot more time and money in R&D than Saleen did.

3995668391_3fd14be8a2_z.jpg

I know we are talking street cars but I like to troll LOL :p. Its been fun and VERY informative on the SN95 Roush cars. I have always thought I was well informed about the Tuner SN95s but I am way wrong! Thanks guys! :eek:ccasion14:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Roush didn't have anything that could touch a 351R in 94-98 or even 99 when the new body style came out. Remember Saleen changed to the 99 body but kept the Supercharged 351 in it making one of the sweetest Mustangs ever made IMO.

Roush's top dog was just a 4.6 with a small Eaton Supercharger... not getting it done against the 500+HP 351.

From 01-04 what was Roush rolling out that was better then the Extremes?

MadStang

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Roush didn't have anything that could touch a 351R in 94-98 or even 99 when the new body style came out. Remember Saleen changed to the 99 body but kept the Supercharged 351 in it making one of the sweetest Mustangs ever made IMO.

Roush's top dog was just a 4.6 with a small Eaton Supercharger... not getting it done against the 500+HP 351.

Saleen may have done it all correctly with the straight-line. But in every comparison test the Roush outshined in handling and braking and that's what I care most about.

OP
OP
T-5 Killer

T-5 Killer

Reaction score
MadStang said:
DropTopPony said:

Saleen may have done it all correctly with the straight-line. But in every comparison test the Roush outshined in handling and braking and that's what I care most about.

Except for the Saleen I posted :p

Oh and some more fuel to the fire.
IMG00091.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlmobile636

Members online