SCT 5500B chip

Caboose302

Reaction score
Does anyone have this chip? I did some research an all I found was that it "give you more HP" and eliminates the rear 02 sensors, along with increasing throttle response, blah blah blah.
the part I was curious about was the fact that its a 4 bank chip, so that means it can hold 4 different tunes right? If so, how do you switch them? I've been chasing a detonation issue so I pulled the chip and it all BUT went away, but now it won't get out of its own way. Feels like I went from a 12 sec car to a high 13 (key word FEELS). Is this a plug and play chip or is it custom tuned for the car?
( sorry I know little to nothing about chips)

lutter94

Reaction score
Did you ever buy this? I just bought one for 50 bucks, I only want to kill the error codes for the smog pump and EGR.....from the little info online it seems like it should do it.....Not much out there about it

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
No this was the old chip I had in the car. They don't have tuning software for it anymore so I replaced it with the SCT 4 bank.

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
No. I can't remember the details but I was talking to a couple local tuners and they said it was a 4 bank chip but it wasn't "selectable" so it was kind of redundant. There was a reason for having 4 banks but it wasn't 4 different tunes, iirc. Apparently SCT updated their firmware and the old chips can no longer be programmed. I've heard rumors you can send one of their old chips to them and for a "small fee" they can do a remote tune but it's not guaranteed.

lutter94

Reaction score
ok, I sent SCT a message, see what happens. Don't really need it selectable at this point.

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
Mine worked really well as I was just going NA but I added some parts and couldn't use it anymore so I gave it to my buddy and he has had really good luck with it. Hopefully they can program it for you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
any chip needs to be tuned for that specific car. You can't just take one chip out of a cobra and stick it in your car and get cobra performance. If the chip was not specifically programmed for your car I would not even consider running it. Do you have any idea what it was tuned for as far as heads/cam/NA/forced induction? The chance of plugging in a random chip and getting better numbers is not as easy as the install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Devin72

Members online