Seatbelts....where to find replacements (new)

smitdavi

Reaction score
Looking for a couple new front belts for my vert and this is proving to be quite the challenge. Is there somewhere where I can pick a set up?

AM had the Corbeau three points and they say they can fit any model but wasn't really sure if they would in fact fit.

Nirwan

Reaction score
If the problem with the seatbelts is that they don't retract anymore, I got a tip for you....
Try using some furniturepolish on them, rub it on with a microfiber cloth en the will be like new.
Will save you a lot of money, because replacing them will be expensive...:thumbsup:

Jgehret

Reaction score
If the problem with the seatbelts is that they don't retract anymore, I got a tip for you....
Try using some furniturepolish on them, rub it on with a microfiber cloth en the will be like new.
Will save you a lot of money, because replacing them will be expensive...:thumbsup:

Interesting, explain the science behind it. Not doubting you, just wanna hear the how's and whys.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I just picked up all four with receivers off ebay for $105 shipped. Most local places around here wanted $100-150 each for just the belt and another $50 for the receiver

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yah your best bet would probably be to source used ones that are still in good condition (meaning they retract) and give those a good cleaning.

Another option, though I'm not sure how hard it might be, would be to remove the belts, disassemble the housing, and correct the issue causing it to not retract. My guess would be tired springs, you might be able to replace them. But seeing as these are safety devices, I'm not sure how hard it would be to take them apart, nor how wise it would be considering your life might depend on it. I still think sourcing good used ones is your best bet.

Nirwan

Reaction score
Interesting, explain the science behind it. Not doubting you, just wanna hear the how's and whys.

I had the problem that the belts didn't retract completely. So i tried an old mechanic trick. Most of the time the retractor/receiver is not the problem, the fabric is... In time it will go from a smooth surface to getting loose fibres. This will make the retraction more difficult. If the belt itself gets smooth again, it will retract normally. Furniturepolish is oilbased en lubricates the fibres in the belt, creating a smoother surface which will slide better. Therefore it will retract normally en when completely dry it will "swoosh" back in like a brand new belt. Had the furniturepolish at home and thought, lets try it before i buy new belts. It solved my problem.:D

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the problem that the belts didn't retract completely. So i tried an old mechanic trick. Most of the time the retractor/receiver is not the problem, the fabric is... In time it will go from a smooth surface to getting loose fibres. This will make the retraction more difficult. If the belt itself gets smooth again, it will retract normally. Furniturepolish is oilbased en lubricates the fibres in the belt, creating a smoother surface which will slide better. Therefore it will retract normally en when completely dry it will "swoosh" back in like a brand new belt. Had the furniturepolish at home and thought, lets try it before i buy new belts. It solved my problem.:D

That is really interesting. The polish doesn't discolor the belts, smell funky, leave the belts feeling oily or leave stains on clothes or anything? I assume you coat both sides of the belt?

Nirwan

Reaction score
That is really interesting. The polish doesn't discolor the belts, smell funky, leave the belts feeling oily or leave stains on clothes or anything? I assume you coat both sides of the belt?

I have a saddle color interior, so are the belts. I applied the polish on a microfiber towel and rubbed it on both sides of the belt starting at the end of the belt ( pulled it as far as it goes). the last bit of the belt that goes over your shoulder and clothes doesn't need to be lubricated, only the part that retracts behind the interiorpanel. It didn't leave stains on the belt, and didn't stay oily. Takes a while to comletely dry though...It just feels very smooth now. I used a polish with honey as an additive in it, so it smelled a bit like honey for about two days......free airfreshener, if you like the scent...lol. Use one without honey and it will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online