Second opportunity to buy a 1997 Cobra

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
This past summer, after getting back from a year in Iraq, I had found a red with tan interior 1997 Cobra with 27,000 miles. It was very clean with some mods and the dealer had wanted 13,500 for it. I never had a chance to drive it and as it turned out by the time, I had time to seriously look at it, it sold. Any way, I have been looking around and now the car is for sale again by the guy who bought it from the lot. It was more heavily modified than I had originally seen when I briefly looked at it over the summer. It has BBK LT header, catted H pipe with Mac cat back, QA1 coilovers with UPR CC plates, a shifter, welded in subframes connectors, aftermarket axles, 4:10 gears, MSD DIS 4, Bassinni cold air, 10th anniversary cobra calipers and slotted rotors on the front, and supposed has a tune and maybe cams. The body is very clean, has never seen a winter and now has 29,000 miles on it. I drove it yesterday and the engine sounds really good, has good power and is very smooth, but it has a synthetic blend oil in it. It needs a speedometer gear swap to match the rear end, strut tower brace is gone, spare tire is missing, broken driver seatbelt tensioner, the suspension is totally beat, the front bumper cover has been repainted and I believe replaced , and the plastic inner wheel well is mishaped in the lower front (not by much, but it looks like whatever took out the original bumper cover did that). I believe it had a slow speed "hit" on the passenger side. That being said the hood and fenders are original I believe. It drove straight, but the CC plates/struts are clunking and in general the car feels loose. The coilovers are the drag racing type, part of the reason it is so loose, and the rear suspension is all original. Also the tires are some cheap Toyo's, not bald, but just not very good tires with original rims in excellent condition. Originally he said $10,000 and then he said he wanted $11,500. $10,000 is the most it is worth to me, but am feeling that may be too much. In closing I think it is a nice car, but wouldn't drive before doing new springs, struts/shocks, CC plates, and tires, in addition to the usual maintenance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Doc

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
11500 is definitely MORE than i would ever give for it. To be honest I think 10 is too much, there is a few things on the car than needs to be fixed and to me if your buying a car with problems that is a deduction on the price. I would have to see it in person to make a educated evaluation on the value of the snake but I would guess 8-9 from your description. Can you post any pics?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Doc_Mayhem said:

those pics look pretty good,.......since you have made the 9 offer see what happens with that I still would not go over around 9500 though

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree with snake, $9,500 MAX. But I would try to hold onto $9,000 If you can. Most dealers try to put these cars into the hands of older more expirienced drivers. If you are in the 18-25 year old range they won't move much on price.

When I bought mine, the window sticker was $9,800. I paid $6,600. That is what the trade in value of the car was according to kelly bluebook, and that is what they told me they gave on trade for it.

When my dad was looking at a 99 Cobra Vert, they wanted $14,900 for it. He had them down to $11,000. It was a different dealer but gave the same reasoning. My mom over ruled dad at the time and did not get the car. By the time he talked her into it, it was already sold.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
I agree with snake, $9,500 MAX. But I would try to hold onto $9,000 If you can. Most dealers try to put these cars into the hands of older more expirienced drivers. If you are in the 18-25 year old range they won't move much on price.

When I bought mine, the window sticker was $9,800. I paid $6,600. That is what the trade in value of the car was according to kelly bluebook, and that is what they told me they gave on trade for it.

When my dad was looking at a 99 Cobra Vert, they wanted $14,900 for it. He had them down to $11,000. It was a different dealer but gave the same reasoning. My mom over ruled dad at the time and did not get the car. By the time he talked her into it, it was already sold.

damn that was some high mark up's on those two snakes :eek:

blackfang

Reaction score
Working for a dealership myself, this is my view on the subject. First, why can't they take pics of the right car? That is very misleading and leads me to ask, what else are they doing? That is showing a 97 Cobra that has aftermarket parts, yet the written description states a 98 Cobra with a different interior color and different wheels and NO PRICE!! That speaks alot for their honesty and intent.

Second, with the info you posted, I could go on and on as to why you shouldn't pay anything more than 9 grand.

I wouldn't buy ANY car from them.

OP
OP
D

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
This is a private party deal. The dealership had the car last summer and I found it again being sold by the guy who bought it from the dealership. I agree about the dealership I would be very suspicious of using different pictures.

I was thinking $9500 as a max too, but I don't think he will take it. It is a gorgeous car, but not the only one in the world.

Thanks again.

-Doc

skmcobra

Reaction score
You're going to have to look at this two ways. 1) Those are low miles which would make it worth around $12-13k. 2) With those mods the car may have been raced hard - how does the tranny feel/sound? I paid $11.5k for mine three years ago with 46k miles, but it was bone stock down to the paper filter. Would it stiffen up with new springs/struts and STB?

OP
OP
D

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
So he called me back as said he would take $10,000. I think it would be worth 12-13, with new suspension and tires. The Bullitt suspension kit seems like a good deal, get the 2003 Cobra lower arms, and some new cc plates, and new tires and rims. How hard is it to replace the speedometer gear?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online