Sink hole at the vette museum

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you expect them to walk away from 1 of a kind cars and just call it a day? I read they had sink hole insurance that was going to cover everything

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Absolutely. I don't want to fund the restoration of them. Not one damned penny.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
FTFY? Fixed that for you?

It's not like they're just walking away from them but I mean, most of those cars are totally destroyed. I'm not talking like a fender bender and the airbags popped, i'm talking about being crushed by tons of earth and other cars. rebuilding them is going to be like rebuilding the entire car piece by piece, it'll be interesting to see how they look when they're done but they'll hardly be original or the same cars they were.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
original or not most of them are still one of kinds that could not be replaced. I am willing to bet when they are done put next to an undamaged car that we would have a hard time telling them apart. Besides that the fact that they were repaired I don't think will hurt the valu of these cars. If anything it will just be added to the story of the car much like a work of art that is damaged in one way or another. its repaired, the repair is added to the story of the piece but again its not like you will find another millionth vette made.

I have to wonder if there would be all this negativity if it was a mustang museum that was hit?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah that's the thing, these cars are more or less priceless because of what they are and what they represent. I think it's great they want to fix them all, just quite an undertaking.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
original or not most of them are still one of kinds that could not be replaced. I am willing to bet when they are done put next to an undamaged car that we would have a hard time telling them apart. Besides that the fact that they were repaired I don't think will hurt the valu of these cars. If anything it will just be added to the story of the car much like a work of art that is damaged in one way or another. its repaired, the repair is added to the story of the piece but again its not like you will find another millionth vette made.

I have to wonder if there would be all this negativity if it was a mustang museum that was hit?

Define negativity. Do I think the govt should give money to an automaker to have them throw it away when a car with perceived value gets damaged? Not one make or model. This is a mustang forum and I am here because I like them. I do not like vettes. Not hard to see I have a bias towards the vehicles and auto manufacturers but I am extremely linear on my thinking towards GM and govt spending in general.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Define negativity. Do I think the govt should give money to an automaker to have them throw it away when a car with perceived value gets damaged? Not one make or model. This is a mustang forum and I am here because I like them. I do not like vettes. Not hard to see I have a bias towards the vehicles and auto manufacturers but I am extremely linear on my thinking towards GM and govt spending in general.

Again read that INSURANCE is covering it so yea the negativity I am talking about is how you keep thinking your tax dollars are going to fix the millionth vette. Was just curious if your panties are in a bunch because you hate vettes or that you still think that your money is going to fix it.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Again read that INSURANCE is covering it so yea the negativity I am talking about is how you keep thinking your tax dollars are going to fix the millionth vette. Was just curious if your panties are in a bunch because you hate vettes or that you still think that your money is going to fix it.

I see. Yes I missed that part for unknown reasons. My panties aren't in a bunch, I have my tastes and strong convictions. Is this a problem?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Chevys aren't my favorite vehicles but the Vette is a respectable performance car. Just as an auto enthusiast I feel like this sucks regardless of the brand affected.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
not a prob like I said I was confused as to how you kept saying you/we were paying for it.

My apologies for skimming.

Chevys aren't my favorite vehicles but the Vette is a respectable performance car. Just as an auto enthusiast I feel like this sucks regardless of the brand affected.

Not a cool thing that's for sure. I don't like them but always respect their performance. One would be foolish to ignore it should you attempt to race one in any capacity. Just far from my cup of tea.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
No matter what car it is, that really is a terrible sight. I, personally, would be more upset if it was a mustang museum, but any car enthusiast should hate to see that a museum full of any kind of cars get destroyed like that. I always wanted to go visit that place, now I wish I had done it already.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Judging by the size of the hole I bet the entire building will need to be torn down and rebuilt elswhere. And since the factory is there as well you can bet there will be geologists crawling all over that place.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be some crap if the factory (located about 1000' away) sank down a hole? Im not giggling here, but really something to ponder. Sink holes are created from rapid water underground and Bowlingreen is all on top of this, a known and mapped massive cave system.
Also the museum just built 2 public circuit race tracks across the road/interstate. Hopefully there are no big issues keeping them from growing, cause I was wanting to burn up them tracks!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
more then likely with this being a known problem it is required for large corp entities to carry insurance to cover this type of thing. Last article I read had everything laid out to sure up the ground, get the cars out, and then rebuild. Sounded nice and easy on paper/type but I am sure there will be things to overcome. Would make a documentary that I would watch hopefully the document it all. Sounds like some interesting problems to get past even before you consider the repair of priceless cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.