Slow cranking issues?

CManT1914

Reaction score
If you have a problem with a slow cranking mustang, and it gets worse if the engine is already hot, then check your main groud cable. It comes off of the negative battery cable that runs along the front of the motor at the top of the oil pan. It's a metal band that is bolted to the block, right above the oil pressure sending unit, and in front of the oil filter. If it works it's way loose, it can cause all sorts of electrical issues.

wytstang

Reaction score
Sounds more like a heat soaked starter to me.

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Resistance in wiring goes up as the cable is heated. So a marginal cable (our cables are all 10+ years old) can show its weakness when it gets hot.

Heat soak is also a possibility.

As Chris and I know (I think perhaps Danny too), additional motor grounds (especially when upgraded alternators are used) can be beneficial.

wytstang

Reaction score
I have an extra 8 gauge ground running from the coil bracket to the driver side STB. If I find a better place I'll swap it out.

HISSIN50

Reaction score
wytstang said:
I have an extra 8 gauge ground running from the coil bracket to the driver side STB. If I find a better place I'll swap it out.
I chose to run a 2 or 4 AWG cable from the pass side of the motor (at the motor mount) to the frame on the pass side. Out of sight down there.....

OP
OP
C

CManT1914

Reaction score
I replaced the auxillary ground that goes from the frame to the engine block (right in front of the oil pressure sending unit, on a bracket) with a bigger cable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online