SN95 Cobra to a Fox? Maybe S197?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Whats up fellas,

I've had this never ending fox body itch for a while now, but all my research and friends have pulled me away from that idea as the Cobra is "superior."
I haven't done a single mod to my Cobra in over a year, I have the money to do stuff but something holds me back. I just mustered the courage to order a double din but kind of regretting it. Don't get me wrong I love my car, but I want something else that I can actually modify. The Cobra is too expensive to mod; I'm at the point where next up is nitrous or a supercharger both of which will require a built T45 soon).

Another option I've been contemplating is an S197 GT. Much better quality, look good when dropped and the right wheels, sound awesome, still 300hp. However, they are heavier and don't have that drivers feel. I test drove a 2010GT and it felt like a caddy compared to my SN95. But a much newer car and a lot more comfortable as a DD.

My Cobra is my DD now, and it is not the most comfortable car but not that bad honestly. I love DDing it but it is so pricey to mod, OH and can't forget the paint issues with white. Mine is starting to show some signs. I don't want to deal with spending thousands on paint!

10zmucw.jpg

What would you do SN95FORUMS?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For a DD, I dont think a mustang is a good choice.
But if you must get a mustang go with something newer with a coyote; power, reliability, age, fuel efficiency.

I think you really need to look at your financial situation. If you're concerned with not being able to afford mods on the current car that I'm assuming you don't own money on... Can you afford a different car?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my SN95 GT cheap as my "fun" car - I throw parts at it as the mood hits. I have a different car that is my daily, that I basically don't mod. My suggestion is to decide whether you want 1 car that you daily and also mod (which I don't recommend if you can afford it), or to have 2 cars - 1 as your DD and the other as the fun car. If you go this route, decide if you want the Cobra to be your DD or your fun car. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to DD my Mustang (but could if I had to), so I would suggest getting something else as your fun car and mod the Cobra. If the stuff for the Cobra is too expensive, then sell it, get a GT or something, and mod that. I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried dailying something other than the mustang? I know back when I was in high school I chose to daily my car cause I thought it was fun/cool/whatever but once I got a beater I realized it's so much better than driving the mustang around.

If money allows it, I would look to buy an old project foxobdy that runs for under $2K. I would then daily that while modding it slowly if you desire and keeping the cobra in the garage/at home. That's basically what I do with my car. I enjoy having a daily and it makes driving the mustang so much more enjoyable and special. The fact that I don't DD or drive the mustang so often saves me alot of money in the long run because I'm not constantly dumping a bunch of money into the car. I honestly love your cobra and for how minimal the amount of mods are, it's one of the cleanest on the forum. It's got so much potential that I wouldn't sell it if I were you. Sure a newer mustang would be nice, but if you're in the position where you would have to make a big financial decision, it can wait. The cobra is paid off and isn't costing you much (relatively speaking) so imagine if you had another car to drive around all while conserving the mustang.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I bought my SN95 GT cheap as my "fun" car - I throw parts at it as the mood hits. I have a different car that is my daily, that I basically don't mod. My suggestion is to decide whether you want 1 car that you daily and also mod (which I don't recommend if you can afford it), or to have 2 cars - 1 as your DD and the other as the fun car. If you go this route, decide if you want the Cobra to be your DD or your fun car. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to DD my Mustang (but could if I had to), so I would suggest getting something else as your fun car and mod the Cobra. If the stuff for the Cobra is too expensive, then sell it, get a GT or something, and mod that. I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish.
The Cobra is supposed to be my fun car but its so expensive to have as a fun car with my budget. Well I've always wanted a fun DD that has at least 300whp. The cobra is long tube headers away from that goal. Yeah DDing a low mustang isn't the most ideal, I now have an exhaust leak from scraping, the bottom of my front bumper is all beat up. Adding a blower turns into a year long project after little issues that always seem to arise. Nitrous is the cheaper route which I would enjoy but the T45 not so much lol.

I've considered just getting a 94/95 GT and modding that. I feel that I would always have something to upgrade. With NA Cobras you add full exhaust and gears and you're done as simple cai's don't add power. However I have thought about getting a cheap 94 GT to daily drive while the Cobra stays in the garage.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, okay, if you are looking for a fun car to throw parts at every now and then that won't break the bank, then an older 302 (94/95 GT) is a good option. But don't be fooled, it will still cost money. It will take some time and and work to get the GT to where your Cobra is now - not sure you'd want to spend money on something just to get it to where you are on a very similar car you already own - the only reason I can think of one wanting to do this is because he/she just likes building things. And that may be you. The parts for the 302 will certainly be a bit cheaper than the Cobra. But it still all adds up.

As for a DD with 300 whp, an older Mustang will be tough to get up there and still be livable. Meaning, it won't be super comfy to drive or anything. Kind of like what Orange said, maybe your best bet is to sell the Cobra (assuming you aren't really attached to it), pick yourself up a newer Mustang with a Coyote engine (V6 or GT), don't mod it, just enjoy it, then see about picking up a "fun" car to wrench on, maybe a slightly neglected 94/95 that needs a little more elbow grease than money at first.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Have you tried dailying something other than the mustang? I know back when I was in high school I chose to daily my car cause I thought it was fun/cool/whatever but once I got a beater I realized it's so much better than driving the mustang around.

If money allows it, I would look to buy an old project foxobdy that runs for under $2K. I would then daily that while modding it slowly if you desire and keeping the cobra in the garage/at home. That's basically what I do with my car. I enjoy having a daily and it makes driving the mustang so much more enjoyable and special. The fact that I don't DD or drive the mustang so often saves me alot of money in the long run because I'm not constantly dumping a bunch of money into the car. I honestly love your cobra and for how minimal the amount of mods are, it's one of the cleanest on the forum. It's got so much potential that I wouldn't sell it if I were you. Sure a newer mustang would be nice, but if you're in the position where you would have to make a big financial decision, it can wait. The cobra is paid off and isn't costing you much (relatively speaking) so imagine if you had another car to drive around all while conserving the mustang.
Yes, I had a 93 Toyota pickup 4x4 that I just sold recently. I spent a ton of money on that pos. I sold it because I got tired of its problems, as well as thought I'd just buy a nitrous kit and a built T45 for the Cobra and DD it.

I have been contemplating the cheap fox idea, however people here want way too much for an old fox. They want more than an sn95 which is beyond me. I figure if I did that I would mod the fox to the point where it would no longer be a good DD and have to DD my car. But I have considered getting a 94/95 GT since they cost half of what people want for foxes here, as a daily and small project. But that takes away funds from the Cobra. But yes having a different DD feels so nice! Don't have to deal with the roughness of the mustang.

Thanks for the compliments man, means a lot coming from someone with an awesome mustang. Honestly, I feel like I'm not into going fast as much as I used to be. Hence why I seek the comfort and new car feel of the S197. Not a huge financial decision as I can probably sell the Cobra for about $9k and have small payments for a $14k S197. But it could be money spent on my current car. One of the biggest concerns for me is paint, white 90s paint sucks. I am headers away from a fun DD though.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
For a DD, I dont think a mustang is a good choice.
But if you must get a mustang go with something newer with a coyote; power, reliability, age, fuel efficiency.

I think you really need to look at your financial situation. If you're concerned with not being able to afford mods on the current car that I'm assuming you don't own money on... Can you afford a different car?
It isn't unless it is stock, but who keeps a mustang stock. I have been checking out coyotes actually. Prices have really dropped for them, but an earlier S197 is fine too just not as fast.

I should probably rephrase the OP. I can afford mods on the Cobra but choose not to every time. No, I bought it cash 3 years ago. Yes, I can afford a different car, but as others have mentioned, why pick up a payment when mine costs me nothing virtually. I have money for a blower and supporting mods along with a built T45 but choose not to, for some reason. I feel like I could make better use of that money bc its just an old mustang. However, I think I would be really happy with a blower.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a dilemma. You don't want to spend the money to mod the Cobra. But you want to mod something. You aren't sure if you want to DD the Cobra because exhaust leaks, old car, other reasons, etc. You don't want to get into payments for a DD and you don't owe anything on the Cobra. But you want a DD that is fun to drive and has ~300 hp or so. I don't know, I see a lot of conflicting desires. It's tough to decide which way to go :)

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Just don't get a 2010..... 07-09 is where the good stuff is at.

I like not having a car payment .... liek really like it lol....

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Hmm, okay, if you are looking for a fun car to throw parts at every now and then that won't break the bank, then an older 302 (94/95 GT) is a good option. But don't be fooled, it will still cost money. It will take some time and and work to get the GT to where your Cobra is now - not sure you'd want to spend money on something just to get it to where you are on a very similar car you already own - the only reason I can think of one wanting to do this is because he/she just likes building things. And that may be you. The parts for the 302 will certainly be a bit cheaper than the Cobra. But it still all adds up.

As for a DD with 300 whp, an older Mustang will be tough to get up there and still be livable. Meaning, it won't be super comfy to drive or anything. Kind of like what Orange said, maybe your best bet is to sell the Cobra (assuming you aren't really attached to it), pick yourself up a newer Mustang with a Coyote engine (V6 or GT), don't mod it, just enjoy it, then see about picking up a "fun" car to wrench on, maybe a slightly neglected 94/95 that needs a little more elbow grease than money at first.
Yes, exactly it'll take some coin to get a GT or a fox up to the level of my fairly stock cobra. That really puts things in perspective. I could instead use that money for Cobra mods and be that much quicker. I do like building things; I used to wrench on my old toyota almost every day. Not much to do on my current mustang. Which is why I have considered building a fox on the side, but then it'll eventually not be a good DD.

Yes, I agree an older 5.0 with a good hci set up may not make the best DD later on. But at that point, I'd most likely have a little corolla or civic to DD. For example, there is an hci black LX with 60k miles and a vortech locally for $7000! Still room for improvement on it and it would be a quick weekend car. I'd buy a cheap DD to go along with it

Sounds like a dilemma. You don't want to spend the money to mod the Cobra. But you want to mod something. You aren't sure if you want to DD the Cobra because exhaust leaks, old car, other reasons, etc. You don't want to get into payments for a DD and you don't owe anything on the Cobra. But you want a DD that is fun to drive and has ~300 hp or so. I don't know, I see a lot of conflicting desires. It's tough to decide which way to go :)
haha glad someone sees the dilemma I am in! Also, I am not a risk taker and take forever to make a decision, which makes this whole process even harder. Maybe that's why I like those authoritative women! haha.I mean, I'm fine with DDing my cobra but I'm worried about the paint falling off soon and having to put thousands towards stupid paint rather than mods. Well, the Cobra can easily be a fun 300whp daily driver. Just needs long tubes and she's there.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Just don't get a 2010..... 07-09 is where the good stuff is at.

I like not having a car payment .... liek really like it lol....
No way man, the 2010 looks way better than the previous s197. It just lacks the coyote. I agree on no car payment though.
Sounds like you need a motorcycle
hahaha I just saw that meme the other day. But no definitely not, I've seen way too many people get hit on bikes, in person.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
hahaha I just saw that meme the other day. But no definitely not, I've seen way too many people get hit on bikes, in person.[/QUOTE]

Yeah unfortunately they are not safe enough for me to get one (mostly because I don't trust myself), but it seems like a good solution to modding when you want to keep a car daily driveable. You have a nice cobra tho hands down

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
hahaha I just saw that meme the other day. But no definitely not, I've seen way too many people get hit on bikes, in person.

Yeah unfortunately they are not safe enough for me to get one (mostly because I don't trust myself), but it seems like a good solution to modding when you want to keep a car daily driveable. You have a nice cobra tho hands down[/QUOTE]
Haha I hear you on not trusting oneself. Yeah maybe but then you'd get bored of how slow the car is. Thanks man! I just looked back at it and got all fuzzy feeling inside. I just emailed a guy on craigslist about his black interior!

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
The grass is not always greener....

You know everything you got with that Cobra. The good, the bad and the power. A new project is only going to have you scratching your head for a bit while you figure out what is going on with it.

I say keep the Cobra and get a cheap beater if you do not want to daily it.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Unless you buy a car new it will always be a headache.... whether it was someone's cheap ass mod machine or some Sumbawa who didn't change except every 20k

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
The grass is not always greener....

You know everything you got with that Cobra. The good, the bad and the power. A new project is only going to have you scratching your head for a bit while you figure out what is going on with it.

I say keep the Cobra and get a cheap beater if you do not want to daily it.
That is true, however I'd be looking for a stock S197 or one with intake and exhaust only. I always buy stock cars for that reason. Yes, I do know the ins and outs of my cobra. I was driving it to in n out last night and realized its the only car I feel right in. I love the interior (switching to black here soon though), it just feels right. But I see an S197 and get the feels lol. I ordered some stuff to see if working on it will keep me interested.

Unless you buy a car new it will always be a headache.... whether it was someone's cheap ass mod machine or some Sumbawa who didn't change except every 20k
Well as stated above I always buy stock cars, and make sure it was taken care of. That has been the deal with all 4 cars I've owned and never had an issue. I am meticulous when it comes to car shopping. But you're right, the unknowns can be so dangerous and even hidden.

I saw an S197 this morning and got hit right in the feels lol. But driving my SN I feel right. But a newer car just keeps coming up in my head. All my cars have been 90s cars bc I love 90s simplicity and rawness, so that's part of the reason I want to try a new car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online