sn95 passenger door window switch

Reaction score
Scratching my head here ! Passenger window will not function from its switch, yet it works fine with master switch on driver's door. When I pull the passenger switch , the master switch will not function the window. Power must go from master to p-door switch. Fuse for window is fine(checked with probe) and works from Master. I can't get a power reading from any of the wires to the p door switch. Does this mean the switch is not contacting or do I have some other issue

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the window system operates on what is called a 5-wire reversing polarity master/slave switch system. What that means is there are 5 wires that go between the switches that do all the work to power the actuators meaning there are no relays. The master/slave part of the switch means that the passenger switch is considered a slave switch that operates off of the master on the drivers side. If the slave switch has a bad contact or problem, the master will keep working but if the master went out then both sides would stop working.

So start on the passenger side. The switch is easy enough to get to so look at the back of it to ensure there are no broken tabs or obvious problems. IF you can't see anything wrong then try taking a meter and testing each of the points on the switch you can see one time with no buttons pressed, with the lock and then the unlock pressed and see what you have.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
the window system operates on what is called a 5-wire reversing polarity master/slave switch system. What that means is there are 5 wires that go between the switches that do all the work to power the actuators meaning there are no relays. The master/slave part of the switch means that the passenger switch is considered a slave switch that operates off of the master on the drivers side. If the slave switch has a bad contact or problem, the master will keep working but if the master went out then both sides would stop working.

So start on the passenger side. The switch is easy enough to get to so look at the back of it to ensure there are no broken tabs or obvious problems. IF you can't see anything wrong then try taking a meter and testing each of the points on the switch you can see one time with no buttons pressed, with the lock and then the unlock pressed and see what you have.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
O K, that helps, switch is out,will put test light on it in the AM. Since switch works from master and door locks work , it would appear to a bad switch , will find out Thanks

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
OK its fixed ! I suspected it was the switch so I replaced the switch and still no go . I pulled the drivers door panel and checked for broken wires , everything looked good , wiggled the pink wire in its socket and the passenger door switch worked ! Go figure ! I bought a new switch and installed in in vain , but it looks better than the old worn one and the window is working as it should. I should have pulled the master first and checked, so now I have an extra switch in case I ever need it. ttocs was helpful in explaining the 5 wire set up and the slave switch. Wiring and wiring diagrams were never my strong point. It is what it is..alls well that ends well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always hate troubleshooting 5-wires just because of that reason that it only takes a slightly bad connection and its dead. I can only imagine how many regulator motors have been replaced because of it....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online