So you want a Big Brake Kit? (BBK)

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
A more pressing question I think, with some of these BBK its pushing the limits of the stock MC. What MC is out there, if any, that would be an upgrade for a newedge?

Caboose302

Reaction score
96-98 uses hydroboost as well. But do the new edge use the cobra style? There's two different styles correct? Or is that just for the 96-98s?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
94-95 gt and cobra have different ones. . The only difference that i know of after that is if it uses traction control or not. .

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
94-95 gt and cobra have different ones. . The only difference that i know of after that is if it uses traction control or not. .

This is correct, the v6/gt/bullitt/mach/cobra and cobra r use the same MC. What I am saying is there any MCs that are compatible with new edges that have a bigger bore to them. Revolution brake uses a specific wilwood caliper because after a certain size of pistons it displaces more fluid then the MC can keep up with creating a soft pedal..

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
This is correct, the v6/gt/bullitt/mach/cobra and cobra r use the same MC. What I am saying is there any MCs that are compatible with new edges that have a bigger bore to them. Revolution brake uses a specific wilwood caliper because after a certain size of pistons it displaces more fluid then the MC can keep up with creating a soft pedal..
Never looked into it. .

Jack Hidley

Reaction score
A couple of comments.

The piston areas for all of the 4 and 6 piston calipers are double what they should be. Only the area on one side of the caliper counts.

Vintage Venom is no longer manufacturing products. Their website is still up for documentation purposes.

Caliper piston area has nothing to do with brake performance. More smaller diameter pistons usually results in more even pressure distribution on the brake pad backing plate, which reduces pad taper. A secondary effect might be that the mass centroid of the brake pad is further outboard. This increases the effective radius of the brake rotor, so there is more torque. This change will be very small.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
A couple of comments.

The piston areas for all of the 4 and 6 piston calipers are double what they should be. Only the area on one side of the caliper counts.

Vintage Venom is no longer manufacturing products. Their website is still up for documentation purposes.

Caliper piston area has nothing to do with brake performance. More smaller diameter pistons usually results in more even pressure distribution on the brake pad backing plate, which reduces pad taper. A secondary effect might be that the mass centroid of the brake pad is further outboard. This increases the effective radius of the brake rotor, so there is more torque. This change will be very small.

You are correct about the Vintage Venom Gt500 kit, it is discontinued, but I will leave it up for reference. The Vintage Venom F14 kit as far as I can tell is still orderable through there site, matter of fact they recently added new colors to it...

Correct that all piston areas are double, I am accounting for both sides.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I received an email on Monday regarding the vintage Venom site and company. The website has been funded for a year, if I remember correctly, for installation purposes. The company is no longer in business. I tried to order a kit and got an automated email and a personal email.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jack Hidley

Reaction score
Cpotts,

I guess I wasn't completely clear. Vintage Venom is essentially out of business. They have zero inventory left and will not be manufacturing any more products. I am 100% sure about this.

My point about the caliper piston areas is that it is incorrect to count both sides of the caliper. This will lead people to make incorrect caliper choices.

As an example, you currently show that the 1994-98 Mustang Cobra front calipers have a piston area of 7in^2 and that the 2000 Mustang Cobra R front calipers have a piston area of 14in^2. Since the Cobra R calipers appear to have twice the piston area, at the same brake line pressure, they should have double the clamping force and therefore double the brake torque, but they don't. They have exactly the same brake torque as each other.

The reason is that sliding calipers (ones with pistons on only one side), have virtual piston(s) on the opposite side of the caliper. When the hydraulic pressure pushes on the real pistons, it also pushes on the inside of the caliper in the opposite direction. (In a hydraulic chamber, the pressure everywhere is constant.) This force pushes the caliper away from the pistons. This is the same thing as the pads on the opposite side of the caliper being pushed onto the brake rotor. This is where the virtual pistons come from.

If you did have a caliper with pistons on one side that was fixed, the brake pad on that side would create friction, but the pad on the opposite side would not, since it can't move. As a result you would have 1/2 of the normal brake torque for a sliding caliper with this configuration.

BTW, here are some piston information for some of the missing calipers in the thread.

Baer 6P 31mm, 35mm and 41mm

2007-12 GT500 40mm 44mm

2013-14 GT500 30mm 34mm 38mm

I'm 90% sure that the F14 kit uses 40mm and 44mm pistons.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
BUMP to see if there is anything new out there. [MENTION=17526]Pete@FTR[/MENTION] I would like to get the specs on your new 14" kit on here if you can pm with the info, and average cost when complete etc..

I saw a thread over at SVT where a guy fit a set of 15" brembos from a GT500 under his 18" wheels... talk about sexy..

When can we expect to see these [MENTION=17526]Pete@FTR[/MENTION]?!!

51696634-b51a-401a-8023-143bebdcf70d_zpsvitucrdj.jpg

Caboose302

Reaction score
Well that's ironic. I was just on here to see if there was any info on the rear brakes. I just picked up a set of cobra fronts and a complete SSBC rear kit from a buddy. Turns out they're just Lincoln Continental Calipers. Still curious on how much better they are, if at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
BUMP to see if there is anything new out there. Pete@FTR I would like to get the specs on your new 14" kit on here if you can pm with the info, and average cost when complete etc..

I saw a thread over at SVT where a guy fit a set of 15" brembos from a GT500 under his 18" wheels... talk about sexy..

When can we expect to see these Pete@FTR?!!

Yessir! We're rolling out the preorders over the next few weeks and then we will be up into accepting current orders.

http://www.fullytorquedracing.com/mustang/sn95-1994-1998/sn95-gt500-brembo-brake-kit.html

22388320891_d35fed54ea_b.jpg

21754822594_26b4ed3a35_b.jpg

21756487493_46402c5396_b.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Well that's ironic. I was just on here to see if there was any info on the rear brakes. I just picked up a set of cobra fronts and a complete SSBC rear kit from a buddy. Turns out they're just Lincoln Continental Calipers. Still curious on how much better they are, if at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rear Lincoln calipers? Post pics I am curious...

that brings up an interesting idea Though... maybe I will start compiling some info on rear BBKs..

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score

Caboose302

Reaction score
Excuse the dirt. They've been in storage a while so they're going to need a good cleaning and some new paint.

c16ac74a90a7649735e048b1d23ae151.jpg

0e0dde914587bc39b053326bbbff0c08.jpg

5552d24bb21288823983894ea4ec67fa.jpg

One of the calipers is leaking so my buddy emailed the company about a rebuild kit. This was their response.

159a9efad775872b6508b575598187cb.jpg

Win

Legend
Reaction score
just a little editing you need to do.

03/04 Mach 1 and Cobra both used a dual 40mm piston

where as everything before that had dual 38mm pistons

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member