Spark plug diagnostics

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
so you have a bad set of plug wires then. Do you hear a clicking/ticking sometimes? That is the arcing of the wires.
It wasn't the plug wire arcing, it was the terminal on the distributor arcing to the intake when it hit its turn in the firing order. When I got down around plug 5 the terminals were shocking me as they arced to my hand so I gave up trying to test it that way.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It wasn't the plug wire arcing, it was the terminal on the distributor arcing to the intake when it hit its turn in the firing order. When I got down around plug 5 the terminals were shocking me as they arced to my hand so I gave up trying to test it that way.
are your saying it was doing this through the plug boots or the insulation around it? The plug wires are installed correctly and its arcing to the intake and shocking you?

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
are your saying it was doing this through the plug boots or the insulation around it? The plug wires are installed correctly and its arcing to the intake and shocking you?
No, it arcs from the detonator cap terminal to a ground. When I removed a plug wire from it while engine was running. No wire in that spot on cap on distributor so it had to arc to a ground. In my case my hand or the intake manifold.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
No, it arcs from the detonator cap terminal to a ground. When I removed a plug wire from it while engine was running. No wire in that spot on cap on distributor so it had to arc to a ground. In my case my hand or the intake manifold.
oh, ok then thats not a big deal for the motor, not that electrocuting yourself is necessarily a good thing. Try not to touch those while its running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.