Speaker Wire and Polyfill Question

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
1. I will be wiring up for my components in my GT and Cobra. I have 16ga wire, the amp is 90wx4@4ohm and the components are rated for 75w. They are the JL Audio C3s, most likely as the Image Dynamics set I had will not fit. Is the 16ga speaker wire going to be fine?

2. Also, I am going to put Polyfill in the rear enclosure for the mid bass drivers. I found dense Polyfill for dolls and then less dense stuff for pillows. Which is better to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure myself as I have never done an blind A-B sound test on different polyfill materials.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I always had better luck with the denser polyfill when using it for mids especially in something like the Mach enclosure. The thinner stuff didn't ever seem to make a difference.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Tune the box properly for no fill. Given a bandpass scenario, like the cad of a car, polyfil is used as a tool to get the tune right.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Tune the box properly for no fill. Given a bandpass scenario, like the cad of a car, polyfil is used as a tool to get the tune right.

This is not a sub box; it is the Mach enclosure for the mids in the rear.

And should the 16ga wire be good?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
20 yrs in the industry and I have no idea what he is trying to say there... I think he is trying to say that you should build the box correctly to be tuned to the proper speaker, but I think he is forgetting in this instance we are putting new speakers in the old box, poly fill is one of the only ways you can tune it other then to take up space or calculate a port for it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
16ga will be perfectly fine for that short of a distance, I'm assuming your running them off of the amp from the rear.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
The entire Mach460 setup has been trashed.

I am running Pioneer HUs, JL Audio C3 Components, Diamond Audio D310s, and Diamond Audio Amps. I plan on 12ga wire for the subs and 16ga for the components. I have 1/0ga power wire.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The entire Mach460 setup has been trashed.

I am running Pioneer HUs, JL Audio C3 Components, Diamond Audio D310s, and Diamond Audio Amps. I plan on 12ga wire for the subs and 16ga for the components. I have 1/0ga power wire.

Sounds like a well thought out setup. I haven't messed with diamond in a long time but when I was still full time in mobile they made great equipment!!!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will probably not find a bigger fan of diamond then me. Image dynamics was the big name in SQ at the time when our rep came in with a set of hex components for us to try out. I will never forget looking at amazement at the tweeter held on by scotch tape for the quick test that looked so horrible and absolutely killed our image dynamics set next to them. Years later I had a set in my mustang, powered by a pair of diamond D9 800.4s. If you want to save a few bucks, you could get by with 4 awg wire instead of 0 awg if your not going to be competing. 0 is better and if you have the cash, sure but then don't forget your factory grounds are 8 awg at best and if they are not increased they are the weak link in the power chain.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
I already have a full spool of the 1/0. I plan on a distribution block to separate it into two 4ga right before the amps. The amps for both cars are Diamond D600.4s for mids and highs and D1000.1 for the subs. I have one pair of dual 2ohm D310s and one pair of dual 4ohm D310s.

I will be doing a "Big 3" upgrade.

I had the D310s with the D1000.1 paired up with Infinity Components in my GT vert and some many people could not believe a convertible could hit that hard. Lol

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
20 yrs in the industry and I have no idea what he is trying to say there... I think he is trying to say that you should build the box correctly to be tuned to the proper speaker, but I think he is forgetting in this instance we are putting new speakers in the old box, poly fill is one of the only ways you can tune it other then to take up space or calculate a port for it.
Thanks for that correction (bailing me out)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online