Speedo bouncing around like mad

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all i need some advice. I’ve just done an engine change on the new edge and now the speedo is just doing its own thing with engine running it not (see videos)
Every now and then the speedo will settle down and start working just great but then it will go mad again. I’ve tried unplugging all the connectors and cleaning them but that has made no difference. It never use to do this before the engine change. Any ideas on what I have done ?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My cluster did that when it went bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Found the fault had a damp connector. Dried out the connector and all is now good

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
No I haven’t found the fault. The speedo it now good when the ignition is on but goes mad as soon as the engine starts. As soon as I start drive the speedo was but as soon as I come to a stop it goes mad again. many ides?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As I stated before. This is what mine did when the cluster was going bad. A few others have had the same issue and had to replace their clusters.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
If I was to replace the cluster is it true I need to get it keyed in so it will work on my car?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I was to replace the cluster is it true I need to get it keyed in so it will work on my car?

Not sure on that. I know the cluster in the 96-98 has something to do with the pats system but not sure how how much. One of the mod motor guys would need to speak up on that. Yalls clusters are totally different from the 94-95 clusters.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
96-98 cluster does not deal with pats, but the 99 and up does. It will have to be programmed. Let’s recap everything you did to the car, what all have you done since the cluster last worked?

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Ok here’s the recap.
All electrics worked fine, and cluster worked in fact everything would fine except the engine.
So pulled the engine and gearbox
Waited three long months for the parts to arrive and refitting the engine and gearbox as one unit.
Started the engine and the speedo went mad BUT also at the same time all four O2 sensors started throwing up faults And still are and even the crankshaft sensor throw a code but only once

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I would very thoroughly check your grounds and even the noise capacitors that are in line with the coil packs. It really sounds like you are getting electrical noise in the system. There should be a ground wire on the driver side engine mount to the frame rail. Then make sure the grounds up on the core support behind the headlights are good. I would even clean the grounds with some sandpaper and reinstall.

Also, look over your wiring very closely and make sure you don’t have any wires pinched.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have heard of people having issues with the gauges because of the connection at the dash. Something about copper traces on the gauges side lifting up and crossing connections I think. Something to check if/when you do pull it back out

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I’m going to be pulling the dash this Friday to replace one of my indicator builds with has decided to also stop working since the engine change

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I’m all so getting the following engine codes
P0141 bank1 sensor 2 heating circuit
P0136 bank 1 sensor 2 faulty
P1132 bank 1 sensor 1 rich?
P0152 bank 2 sensor 2 faulty?
All these codes popped up the same time as the speedo going wrong

Latest posts