spindles....???

98-5.0

Reaction score
ok..........as you know......i converted my 98v6 into a 5.0......i have 03-04 cobra's on it with 275's....future to have 245 or 255 on front...anyways....ive been told that the 94-95 spindles are 8mm less than the 96-98 mod spindles.....my wheels look to stick out a bit.....so will getting 94-95 spindles help that spacing or should i just let my dad machine the backs of the wheels a bit at his machine shop?????

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I'd swap spindles as it will facilitate easier wheel changes down the road. Plus, some wheels don't have a lot of "meat" on them to mill off the back.

ryclef331

Reaction score
You put a set of fox body lower control arms on the car as well. They're ALOT more narrow...I believe 3/4". You retain your spindles. You just need the tie rods, arms, and I don't remember it the sway bar is the same or not. Again though, that might be a lil more than you want. Honestly 8mm isn't much at all. It'd suck to do all the work and end up not liking the finished result.

OP
OP

98-5.0

Reaction score
so whats the best way to get them inside some more .....if they are in to far ill space em out......i just want to be able to run a 245 45 17 and be exactly flush in the front.......i dont understand ........so basically do a front fox body swap out..........the point is to lower the car with the prokit....and will i need to go with bump steer......what is that and why would i need it.........

ranger50toy

Reaction score
Bumpsteer kit keeps the tires from toeing in and out when the suspension moves up and down.

OP
OP

98-5.0

Reaction score
WELL I HAPPEN TO HAVE A 89 HATCH SITTIN IN THE GARAGE NOW THAT IM PUTTIN BACK TOGETHER FROM A DRAGCAR TO A STREETCAR AGAIN.......SO WHAT DO I NEED OFF OF IT TO MAKE MY WHEELS TUCK IN MORE......IF THEY STICK IN TO MUCH I COULD JUST THROW ON A SET OF SPACERS....RIGHT......

ryclef331

Reaction score
Damn, I leave for a few days out of town and y'all get pushy.....

You can either press sn95 ball joints in the fox arms or you can stack enough washers (.330") on top of the spindle so the castle nut doesn't bottom out before it can tighten down. Everything else works out just fine, but you might need C/C plates to get enough camber adjustment

OP
OP

98-5.0

Reaction score
ok ive done enough research......i think.....ive found out that all 94-95 v6/gt/cobra spindles are the exact same....therfore...my spindles are 8mm wider on each side and have flat-straight out tie rod platforms.....and the 94-95's have the curved up tie rod platforms........am i not correct....so......in order to get my 17x9 inch 03-04 cobras to stick in like they should with even a 275 on it is to swap out to 94-95 spindles....but what ball joints and tie rods ends do i use or should i just do bumpsteer .......and also.........i need front brakes like a siv......and i just did the cobra rear conversion.....so should i just buy the $500 dollar kit on 50resto.com????? just for 94-95 .....or should i buy the cheaper one for the 96-04 and just grind the ears on the spindles...????

ryclef331

Reaction score
As much crap as it sounds like you're going to have to go through, you should just get a pair of 03-04s replicas that HAVE the correct spacing for your car. I would say you can have your dad machine them as well a bit if needed. I think the a-arm swap is more than you really need to do. As for the brakes...what kind are you looking at?

OP
OP

98-5.0

Reaction score
I dont want to swap out the a arms......just the spindles......i can get a set of 94-95 spindles today for $60........its not that much more work for me because im putin new spring.... maybe tube k and a arms but it would be nice to have new wheel bearings and balljoints and stuff.......if the 8mm isnt enough which im pretty sure it will be....ill just opt to fox body a arms and retain my stock 98 spindles...or whatever......im almost positive that the spindles at 8mm is all need to be happy.....so just what ball joints would i use and what bump steer kit should i get and anything else id need to make that front end work.....how do you align with the bumpsteer.....normal alignment or buy the measureing kit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online