Squealing Question

SoddyRebel

Reaction score
So somtimes when i get on my car a little or floor it and let up on it, it will make a loud squealing sound. I was thinking its the belt maybe? But is there anyway to fix this?

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
SoddyRebel said:
So somtimes when i get on my car a little or floor it and let up on it, it will make a loud squealing sound. I was thinking its the belt maybe? But is there anyway to fix this?
I have the same exact thing. It's the serpentine belt and nothing I've done can cure this. The tensioner on my car is fine and still has plenty of room to move. The belt is relatively new as well. I also used some spra stuff that's supposed to help slipping belts. It didnt help either.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the tensioner pulleys will squeak on these..they are an easy fix and cheap.

spdracer

Reaction score
is it possible to just get a new tensioner pully or do i need a new tensioner? i seem to have a squeeling noise and the pully on the tensioner is starting to get corrodded

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i think that pulley comes off so you don't have to replace the entire arm...i haven't had to do that one yet.

96gt226410

Reaction score
Some tensioners you can replace only the pulley. Ford used either aluminum (you have to replace it as a whole) or steel (you can replace just the pulley). If the tensioner is magnetic, you can just put a new pulley on it... I just checked up an Oasis and it seems that '96-'98 4.6's had a TSB for squeeling alternator pulleys (especially when it is cold outside and the engine has to warm up). You may want to look into that. Does the squueking go away after the car has warmed up?

spdracer

Reaction score
yeah just in the mornings or after the car has cooled down it makes a squeeling on a cold start then it goes away after the enition rev upp... what do u think that could be, i alread put a new belt on as well as idler pully.

96gt226410

Reaction score
Sounds like the alternator pulley, but I'd have to take a look at it to be sure. It's up to you to figure it out. If the squeek is coming from the alternator, replace the pulley.

SN952NV

Reaction score
Is it an auto? Mine does the same thing and the first time I heard my heart dropped cuz I thought it came from the tranny.

smasher41

Reaction score
I got a 98 Gt 5 speed and since it got cold mines also making a squeeling sound since the temp has dropped.

I haven't checked where its coming from yet, but the s-belt looks like its practically new. should i try to find what pully it is and replace it, or is it time to get some underdrive pulleys to replace them all? ( do they even replace them all?)

The sound is either from the engine or tranny, i cant tell for sure, but it is ONLY when the engine is cold and first started, goes away after like 2 minutes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online