Squealing Question

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by SoddyRebel, Jul 31, 2006.

1. SoddyRebel

SoddyRebel Well-Known Member

So somtimes when i get on my car a little or floor it and let up on it, it will make a loud squealing sound. I was thinking its the belt maybe? But is there anyway to fix this?

2. MAXX RS4

MAXX RS4 Member

I have the same exact thing. It's the serpentine belt and nothing I've done can cure this. The tensioner on my car is fine and still has plenty of room to move. The belt is relatively new as well. I also used some spra stuff that's supposed to help slipping belts. It didnt help either.

3. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Post Whore Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

humm id say you either need a new belt, new pulley or new tensioner.

4. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

the tensioner pulleys will squeak on these..they are an easy fix and cheap.

5. spdracer

spdracer New Member

is it possible to just get a new tensioner pully or do i need a new tensioner? i seem to have a squeeling noise and the pully on the tensioner is starting to get corrodded

6. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

i think that pulley comes off so you don't have to replace the entire arm...i haven't had to do that one yet.

7. 96gt226410

96gt226410 Active Member

Some tensioners you can replace only the pulley. Ford used either aluminum (you have to replace it as a whole) or steel (you can replace just the pulley). If the tensioner is magnetic, you can just put a new pulley on it... I just checked up an Oasis and it seems that '96-'98 4.6's had a TSB for squeeling alternator pulleys (especially when it is cold outside and the engine has to warm up). You may want to look into that. Does the squueking go away after the car has warmed up?

8. spdracer

spdracer New Member

yeah just in the mornings or after the car has cooled down it makes a squeeling on a cold start then it goes away after the enition rev upp... what do u think that could be, i alread put a new belt on as well as idler pully.

9. 96gt226410

96gt226410 Active Member

Sounds like the alternator pulley, but I'd have to take a look at it to be sure. It's up to you to figure it out. If the squeek is coming from the alternator, replace the pulley.

10. SN952NV

SN952NV New Member

Is it an auto? Mine does the same thing and the first time I heard my heart dropped cuz I thought it came from the tranny.

11. spdracer

spdracer New Member

its 5spd

12. smasher41

smasher41 Member

I got a 98 Gt 5 speed and since it got cold mines also making a squeeling sound since the temp has dropped.

I haven't checked where its coming from yet, but the s-belt looks like its practically new. should i try to find what pully it is and replace it, or is it time to get some underdrive pulleys to replace them all? ( do they even replace them all?)

The sound is either from the engine or tranny, i cant tell for sure, but it is ONLY when the engine is cold and first started, goes away after like 2 minutes.