Steeda underdrive pullies install?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to install steeda underdrive pullies without a air tool or electric torque gun? I have a auto (4r70w) trans. I was wondering if got a long breaker bar to crack the torque on the pulley and use a pulley puller to get the stock crank pulley off, or is it virtually impossible without air tool. Who has done this before?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes I removed the alt and took it to a shop near my house. Tried to pay the guy $5 for knocking it off with his impact but he refused since he worked on the car from time/time.

Keep your stock pullies somewhere safe

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
yes I removed the alt and took it to a shop near my house. Tried to pay the guy $5 for knocking it off with his impact but he refused since he worked on the car from time/time.

Keep your stock pullies somewhere safe

sounds like a issue, its worth investing in your own tools and having friends.

5ft breaker bar will do the job!

The D3V

Hahahaaa. Thanks D3V!

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
im just going to get it installed at my friends shop, i read the directions and you need someone to hold the torque converter with a 14mm wrench and impact gun..sigh.

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
It's not hard. You just take the inspection cover off the transmission (2 easy-to-get-to bolts), and stick a socket on one of the torque converter bolts; let the socket bind up, and just take the crank bolt off. I've had several off now, and my 18" breaker bar has been fine each time.

You will need a harmonic balancer puller to get it off, but you can rent those for free from a parts store.

You will need an air gun to get the alternator pulley bolt off.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
It's not hard. You just take the inspection cover off the transmission (2 easy-to-get-to bolts), and stick a socket on one of the torque converter bolts; let the socket bind up, and just take the crank bolt off. I've had several off now, and my 18" breaker bar has been fine each time.

You will need a harmonic balancer puller to get it off, but you can rent those for free from a parts store.

You will need an air gun to get the alternator pulley bolt off.

The socket wont pop off the torque converter while breaking the torque off the crank bolt?

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
The socket wont pop off the torque converter while breaking the torque off the crank bolt?

Not if it's on there good. You can put a ratchet on the socket, too, to help. Or use a wrench. Or find one of the empty holes on the flexplate and jam something stiff through it like D3V said.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to install steeda underdrive pullies without a air tool or electric torque gun? I have a auto (4r70w) trans. I was wondering if got a long breaker bar to crack the torque on the pulley and use a pulley puller to get the stock crank pulley off, or is it virtually impossible without air tool. Who has done this before?

I have.

WD40 it first.

Put the transmission into drive.
Put the parking brake on.
Use a breaker bar and a shallow socket.
Leave the belt on until the bolt is loose.

WD40 as needed.
Use a new bolt (preferably an ARP) during install of the new steeds unit.

For manual transmissions leave it in the highest overdrive.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Never thought of it like that. What about Liquid wrench PB blaster its been helping a lot so far!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.