stock 95 5.0 intake manifold porting?polishing? improvements?

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Well i have my upper intake manifold off for a good cleaning and a coat of high temp flat black paint, and to re seal and clean all the fittings. i used a very high pressure pressure washer with soap to clean it and worked very very well.
I heard bad stories of sandblasting so took a different route as i aint using aircraft stripper... ew.. the pressure washer surprisingly enough removed a very good amount of carbon and build up ( i had ALOT of oil build up as the previous owner probably never heard of a pcv system).
Now that it is clean i noticed the inside of the intake on throttle boddie end is really rough. way more rough than i would have thought. i know intakes usually have a bumpy texture but this is pretty terrible, could probably cut my finger on some of the bumps and burs in there.
Is it worth any time to smooth them out? has anyone done this before? any performance gains? i got some time before i throw it back on so thats not a issue. i was thinking that using a dremel would make billions of tiny shavings, perfect for the motor to suck in and screw all my pistons over. think i would just shove the pressure washer back in and give er to get the shaving's out. any opinions would be great!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The stock opening is only 70mm so if your planning on running A 75MM TB like everyone seems to like to do the intake will choke it. When I had mine off I ported the top and smoothed it out. I got a porting kit that had a long rod for a die grinder that you could put a number of different sanding drums on that the kit included to smooth it out. As for shavings don't be worried its aluminum so you can just rinse it out with water and no worries for rust. You can also shove a rag down past where you are working to prevent them from going down. To finish it off I actually sent mine to nitroplate to have them ceramic coat it but this is all in preparation for a supercharger.

OP
OP
Bauman_Octane

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
The stock opening is only 70mm so if your planning on running A 75MM TB like everyone seems to like to do the intake will choke it. When I had mine off I ported the top and smoothed it out. I got a porting kit that had a long rod for a die grinder that you could put a number of different sanding drums on that the kit included to smooth it out. As for shavings don't be worried its aluminum so you can just rinse it out with water and no worries for rust. You can also shove a rag down past where you are working to prevent them from going down. To finish it off I actually sent mine to nitroplate to have them ceramic coat it but this is all in preparation for a supercharger.

ya i never really had intrest in bigger throttle bodies havn;t seen massive gains worth the money. they look nice though! lol. and ya those are all good tips think i might just do some lite sanding, just give the air a smother route to the inside. wich supercharger are ya thinking of going with?

RichV

Reaction score
Don't waste your time. You'd have so much time into it for minimal gains. Make it look nice, and replace it when money allows.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to agree that if your not going to get into that its not going to help much.

I found a good deal on a vortech

OP
OP
Bauman_Octane

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Don't waste your time. You'd have so much time into it for minimal gains. Make it look nice, and replace it when money allows.

ya i'm thinking that is going to be the plan. i will have to do some research on a explorer setup, seems to be a good way to go for a little extra power.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Don't upgrade your throttlebody until you upgrade the upper and lower intake and the heads. If you ported it now or got a larger aftermarket one. Essentially what you're doing is putting a bigger hole that goes into the same restrictive intake and restrictive heads. So it'd be completely worthless. Save ya $$

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will not say its a waste as it depends on what your long term plans are. If your planning on doing more in the future then it might be easier to do it now to have it ready for later upgrades.

OP
OP
Bauman_Octane

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
But yeah smoothing that inside out wouldn't hurt! Have fun haha

ya i got no intentions of slapping on a throttle body. just cleaned mine up anyway!:D. and ya i just decided to slap everything back on now that i had the room to get in there with some baby wipes and clean everything up. between the new PCV, msd igniton coil,plugs,wires,all top end gaskets, all my vaccum lines, canister purge valve, cleaned EGR, Fuel reg, Fuel pump and now plugged rear smog pump inlet holes on the back of the cylinder heads i think it may just run i tiny little bit better lol. (every one of those parts was toast). not to mention i found 3 vaccum leaks haha.

you 95 is one sweet ride my friend..

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds good man! That'll definitely help it run better. Might not be a bad idea to change your O2 sensors too, it'll help with gas mileage. RockAuto has Bosch O2 sensors for $23.46 a piece, you'll need 2.. Local parts stores charge 40-60 bucks a sensor, save ya self a buncha money right there. Thank you! I've had it for 4 years, got it 100% original and stock

Addermk2

Reaction score
The biggest improvement that you can make to the stock intake manifold, is to install it in the trash can.

OP
OP
Bauman_Octane

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Sounds good man! That'll definitely help it run better. Might not be a bad idea to change your O2 sensors too, it'll help with gas mileage. RockAuto has Bosch O2 sensors for $23.46 a piece, you'll need 2.. Local parts stores charge 40-60 bucks a sensor, save ya self a buncha money right there. Thank you! I've had it for 4 years, got it 100% original and stock

ya good tip! will do. and ya i wish i could have found a stock one. mine was used abused molested and was suffering from malnutrition.

OP
OP
Bauman_Octane

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Ahhh that sucks. But you'll make it better than it ever was so keep at it

ya that's the plan. just fullly removed my entire A/C system and the rest of the smog crap last night. she is looking much more roomy under the hood! trying to build a reliable beast before throwing down numbers at the dyno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online