Strange electrical questions - Dash board

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
So I am headed to work this morning 27 degrees here in GA I think. Start the car, turn on the lights, the Tach and the guages on the right are dark and the turn signals didn't flash in the car. Going down the road, no light. Once the car starts warming up on the inside, the lights come on. After about 15-20 min to work, the turn signals inside start working. They always worked on the outside. The lights were the issue.

I go out at lunch, it's about 40 no issues, turn signals flashed inside the car and everything.

Very strange problem. Any ideas?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wondering this as well. I don't have this issue but my girlfriend's truck's turn signals don't blink when the brake lights are on (head/running/tail lights on makes no difference). This also only happens when it's very cold out and since we've been well below zero here she basically hasn't had blinkers for a week or so.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What happens is that when it gets that cold the valence electrons in the ions present in the wires becomes as loose as a prom-date in a big baggy black dress, that weighs 400 lbs.... They do not like to move as easily and only move along the very outside of the wire in what is called the skin effect. The colder it is the less wire is actually used in transmitting that fat ***** in the valance shell so less fat *****es get moved. As the wire gets warmed up she sweats out a few pounds and then the dress comes off! You have to be carefull though as if the temp rise is too fast she can become confused and try to go backwards in the circuit. When this happens capacitors explode, coils melt, but the worst part is that incandescent bulbs will emit a light so bright that it can blind you......

worst part is that IF you get your eyesight back that I hear you only want fat chicks in big black dresses....... true story.

No really I gots nothing.....

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Big-Wave-Well-Shit.jpg

OP
OP
R

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
OMFG TTOCS!!! I thought you had something for real, until I got to the end. That was too funny! I think I'm just going to call it PFM. It's just another weird thing about this car.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
At first all I had was "I gots nothing".... And then it occurred to me that this was too good too pass up since I knew people would think I was serious, at least for a little while.

In reality, I will sound like a broken record BUT - start simple check your grounds......... I know I know I know but the temp changes could be just a little bit of corrosion has built up and no with the cooler temps it isn't making as good of a connection with how the metal in the grounding chassis expands/contracts. take the ground off, clean the area with some sand paper then retighten and some grease will keep it from corroding quickly.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lot of digging around to do on the girlfriend's truck, I just figured I would throw it out there in case you had run into the situation before. I'll stop derailing this thread though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online