Stripped differential drain plug.

amf201091

Reaction score
Title says it all. Any ideas on how I can get it out. I have an oxy welder in storage that I haven't used yet. Maybe weld a bolt onto it and get it out that way? Is there an aftermarket diff cover that has a drain plug I can just buy? Any ideas welcome.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What model car do you have? I don’t know if any that had stock drain plugs accept the IRS. An aftermarket cover will have drain and fill ports in the rear so they are easy to get too.

dwcopple

Reaction score
98 GT does not have a diff drain plug. Fill plug only. Not sure what you're looking at.

PinkieT

Reaction score
What he said. There is a fill plug on the front of the differential with a square drive but no drain plug. To drain it you just take the cover off. But, if the fill plug is froze, you got no way to refill it.

Attachments

• ford-8-8-fill-plug.pdf
    257.9 KB · Views: 1

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I second what Warrior said. This is definitely the time to replace the diff cover with one that has easily accessible fill and drain plugs. I did it on my ‘95 and it was money well spent. Made life a ton easier and will make future gear oil changes a breeze. At this juncture, it’s a no-brainer.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Helpful hint: For those who don't have an aftermarket cover, removing the axle tube vent and filling from there can be much better than trying to use the factory-provided fill port. .

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Helpful hint: For those who don't have an aftermarket cover, removing the axle tube vent and filling from there can be much better than trying to use the factory-provided fill port. .
That’s a pretty good idea, I like it!

You still have to pull the front plug to make sure the level is right, so if that’s stripped or stuck, you’re kinda screwed.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I figure if you drain it all and add the recommended amount, which is 2 quarts, you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online