Strut question

Bigkansas

Reaction score
On my 96 I have the adjustable strange struts on the front with aq1 coil overs. On the top not that’s under the hood what the best way to hold the strut shaft while you torque it down. Not sure if just impacting it on will be tight enough. Thought about vice grips but that won’t work cuz it will mess up the strut shaft. Thanks for any help you can give

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the stud?

Should have a hex on top of the stud. You should be able to use a combo wrench to tighten the nut while you use a small socket wrench to hold the stud.

OP
OP
Bigkansas

Bigkansas

Reaction score
IMG_1571.jpegIMG_1571.jpeg
Here’s what I have looking at me doesn’t look like it has one on the top.

OP
OP
Bigkansas

Bigkansas

Reaction score
Here’s what I’m looking at. It doesn’t look like it has one

IMG_1571.jpeg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Ok, that helps. That stud has flats that you should be able to hold with a wrench.

However, it doesn’t seem like that stud is protruding enough. I’m not familiar with Strange or QA1 parts as I’m a MM user. Does that setup have spacers that go above and below the caster/cover plate?

OP
OP
Bigkansas

Bigkansas

Reaction score
Ok thank you I appreciate the help should have my stuff in from jegs today to install everything.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
An impact should be sufficient to buzz it down far enough to get a wrench on the flats but white95's advice about moving the spacer is the correct way to go.

OP
OP
Bigkansas

Bigkansas

Reaction score
Anytime. Keep us posted.
Here’s the finished product way better now. Got an alignment in the morning. Will say found out this car has the camber bolts that go thru the bottom mount of the strut. Pain in the ass at first to figure out never seen them before. Thanks again for your help.

IMG_1575.jpegIMG_1574.jpegIMG_1576.jpeg

khan.cross

Reaction score
If you use a normal nut, not a self locking, you will be able to grab the stem and hold it with a wrench. Use red loctide for the nut

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Seeing different numbers of threads protruding is a warning sign. In my experience it means that the low side needs a little bit more. It's only a couple threads difference so it may be nothing but it's worth double checking anyway. You'll get a distinct clunking in the front end if one isn't all the way zipped down.

OP
OP
Bigkansas

Bigkansas

Reaction score
Seeing different numbers of threads protruding is a warning sign. In my experience it means that the low side needs a little bit more. It's only a couple threads difference so it may be nothing but it's worth double checking anyway. You'll get a distinct clunking in the front end if one isn't all the way zipped down.
Ok thank you I appreciate it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online