Supercharging a 3.8l?

silverv6

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about supercharging my v6 3.8l in my 2001 mustang ( i have another motor on the side that will be built) but as far as the supercharger goes what kind would i need, does it matter, like i found one from a cobra would that fit on to my motor? i cant find one specifically for the 3.8.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
If you use a centrifugal blower you will need a bracket made for your car. There is a company that makes an adapter plate to run the 03/04 cobra blower on a v6. That's the route I would go.

LilRoush

Reaction score
Pro Charger makes a great set up for the 3.8L. Vortech did, but stopped - you can find them used if you look around.

There is the set up for the M112 off the Cobra to use on the V6. The best place to buy one is from Nathan at MySteedPerformance.com. They are custom made for each person, so you might have to wait a bit to get it. There is a used M112 set up for sale on 3.7mustang.com right now. It's the only legit used kit I know of for sale right now. I'll vouch for the quality of that one because it was one of the first I made and I ran that specific upper intake on my car before it went into customer hands. It was bought used by the current owner.... so it's been on 3 cars and runs great. Be aware there are several knock offs floating around. People who have tried to copy tend to make less power and end up having tuning issues. Some have even blown up motors.

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
If you use a centrifugal blower you will need a bracket made for your car. There is a company that makes an adapter plate to run the 03/04 cobra blower on a v6. That's the route I would go.

Ive found a few from the 03/04 cobras floating around for sale and realitivly cheap ( i just want to be able to bolt it on for now and run a low psi and start building my motor.. or just bolt it on the motor i have in my garage). Do you know which company makes the adapter plate to use their blower?

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
Pro Charger makes a great set up for the 3.8L. Vortech did, but stopped - you can find them used if you look around.

There is the set up for the M112 off the Cobra to use on the V6. The best place to buy one is from Nathan at MySteedPerformance.com. They are custom made for each person, so you might have to wait a bit to get it. There is a used M112 set up for sale on 3.7mustang.com right now. It's the only legit used kit I know of for sale right now. I'll vouch for the quality of that one because it was one of the first I made and I ran that specific upper intake on my car before it went into customer hands. It was bought used by the current owner.... so it's been on 3 cars and runs great. Be aware there are several knock offs floating around. People who have tried to copy tend to make less power and end up having tuning issues. Some have even blown up motors.

Yeah i noticed that vortech stopped making their kit. So the M112 set up is the blower off of a termi? Am i understanding you correctly? I found a few of those and one from a shelby gt500 actually but i was not sure if they would fit correctly on a 3.8

LilRoush

Reaction score
You'll need the Eaton M112 specifically off the 03/04 Cobra to work with the adapter set up Nathan makes. It uses the air intake tube, MAF, throttle body, inlet plenum, compressor and 39 lb fuel injectors. The boxed upper intake is custom made. There are also gaskets, hardware, fuel pump etc to install. Nathan's kit includes everything but the tune you'll need and a cowl hood. It's best to get a dyno tune from a good shop, but we worked with VMP to get a good base line mail order tune so you can drive the car without worry.

Here's a link to that used kit I mentioned. It's the best used kit out there, and you can't beat the price ($2000). The only thing that has changed about that boxed upper intake since I made it is someone notched it to fit around one of the front coolant lines. On my car, I re-routed the line for more room. That kit put down over 300 hp on my car and on Richard's car (the original customer). Richard sold it to the guy who is currently selling.

http://3.7mustang.com/vb/f25/fs-99-04-v6-m112-kit-264473/

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Matt, I love that you know so much :)

VMP is an hour or so away from us and LaMotta (where I got tuned) is about 30 minutes. So we are in good shape on the tuning end.

Brian, this is the guy to talk to about boosted v6 applications.

LilRoush

Reaction score
I only know a little bit about some things. I just happen to know V6 boost because I wasted so much time/engery/MONEY trying to learn the hard way. I broke a lot of stuff, and failed more than I care to admit. I hate to see anyone else have to go through that if they don't have to. Plus us FL boys need to stick together.

Right now I've had a close eye on AM's supercharged 3.7L trying to see what they learn in case I toss a hat in that ring next.

LilRoush

Reaction score
T Bird M90 works great for 94-98 V6 cars. It's lower intake is matched to the single port heads that were used on earlier 3.8L. In 99, the heads switched for improved airflow. To use it on the newer car, you'd have to revert back to the older heads... most don't like taking a step back to take one forward.

"CROSSBREED" on here has a 4.3L making use of that M90 /single port set up. It puts my SC'd 4.6L to shame when comparing numbers. Someday, I will own that car. I followed the build by the original owner way back in the day and have loved it ever since.

p248626415-4.jpg

p781693674-4.jpg

p781145525-4.jpg

p964878485-4.jpg

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
The roush kit needs side exhaust. I still kick myself for not trading my 96 for a 95 roush :(

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
You'll need the Eaton M112 specifically off the 03/04 Cobra to work with the adapter set up Nathan makes. It uses the air intake tube, MAF, throttle body, inlet plenum, compressor and 39 lb fuel injectors. The boxed upper intake is custom made. There are also gaskets, hardware, fuel pump etc to install. Nathan's kit includes everything but the tune you'll need and a cowl hood. It's best to get a dyno tune from a good shop, but we worked with VMP to get a good base line mail order tune so you can drive the car without worry.

Here's a link to that used kit I mentioned. It's the best used kit out there, and you can't beat the price ($2000). The only thing that has changed about that boxed upper intake since I made it is someone notched it to fit around one of the front coolant lines. On my car, I re-routed the line for more room. That kit put down over 300 hp on my car and on Richard's car (the original customer). Richard sold it to the guy who is currently selling.

http://3.7mustang.com/vb/f25/fs-99-04-v6-m112-kit-264473/

So this kit is the only one? Or is their others? Im a bit confused about the adapter plate can i buy one and just get a cobra blower and bolt it on? or does it require fab on the intakes?

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
T Bird M90 works great for 94-98 V6 cars. It's lower intake is matched to the single port heads that were used on earlier 3.8L. In 99, the heads switched for improved airflow. To use it on the newer car, you'd have to revert back to the older heads... most don't like taking a step back to take one forward.

"CROSSBREED" on here has a 4.3L making use of that M90 /single port set up. It puts my SC'd 4.6L to shame when comparing numbers. Someday, I will own that car. I followed the build by the original owner way back in the day and have loved it ever since.

p248626415-4.jpg

p781693674-4.jpg

p781145525-4.jpg

p964878485-4.jpg

So which ones better the t bird or cobra? g36 monkey said that the stock cobra blowers run a little hot.. is that a big issue? Also what all do i need if i found a cobra blower on my own and that kit was sold what would i need.. lol and how would i put the base tune on my car once i bolt everything up? I would like to run 5psi on my current stock motor 150k miles =/ untill my new motor is finished.. Possible?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
t bird will work better in ur case id think

LilRoush

Reaction score
So this kit is the only one? Or is their others? Im a bit confused about the adapter plate can i buy one and just get a cobra blower and bolt it on? or does it require fab on the intakes?

There is only one used one for sale right now. If you want a new one, Nathan can make you one. It's designed to be installed in an afternoon with basic hand tools. The hardest part is swapping in a larger fuel pump.

So which ones better the t bird or cobra? g36 monkey said that the stock cobra blowers run a little hot.. is that a big issue? Also what all do i need if i found a cobra blower on my own and that kit was sold what would i need.. lol and how would i put the base tune on my car once i bolt everything up? I would like to run 5psi on my current stock motor 150k miles =/ untill my new motor is finished.. Possible?

The M90 is the way to go on the 94-98 V6, the M112 is set up for the 99-04. The Cobra blower only runs hot if you use a knock off intake. The guys using my design have never had IAT issues.If you buy the blower yourself, Nathan can set you up with everything else. We don't put a list out there to copy. I had a few issues with people copying wrong, then filing legal action against me for it when they blew up motors. 5-8 psi is very safe. If you are close to Justin, VMP would be the way to go.

And for a fun side fact, the M112 averages the most hp per psi set up that has been seen on a supercharged V6 Mustang (better than Pro Charger, Paxton, Powerdyne and Vortech).

all id change is the side skirts.

The roush kit needs side exhaust. I still kick myself for not trading my 96 for a 95 roush :(

The non side exit skirts are actually rarer - so that is the appeal for some. Glad I've got one of each style for now. :)

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
Sorry it wouldve been to much to reply with a quote.. lol

But i found a cobra blower for 800$ id rather get the whole kit i was just asking incase when im ready the kit is sold. And that kit gives you everything, or would you need bolts and all of that?

So i shouldnt get a m90 i should get the m112? Oh okay well i know this is a noob question but ive only had turbos, is it possible to intercool a supercharger? that way it runs extra cool and its just added help for the intake

I could run 5-8 psi on a stock motor with 150k? i have a motor that im planning on building but i would bolt on the blower if i could safely.

Thats a very good fact to know =]

LilRoush

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay much more than $300 for the blower these days. SVTPerformance.com is a good place to look for them. I saw one for as low as $250.

The M90 won't work on the 99-04 cars without a LOT of work/money. You'd need to swap everything from the heads up to do it and get a custom made fuel rail.
It is possible to intercool the M90 - they use and air to air on the V6. The M112 doesn't need one when used in this application. It's not being forced to work hard enough to heat up the air that much. I don't even have an intercooler on the M112 on my 4.6L.

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay much more than $300 for the blower these days. SVTPerformance.com is a good place to look for them. I saw one for as low as $250.

The M90 won't work on the 99-04 cars without a LOT of work/money. You'd need to swap everything from the heads up to do it and get a custom made fuel rail.
It is possible to intercool the M90 - they use and air to air on the V6. The M112 doesn't need one when used in this application. It's not being forced to work hard enough to heat up the air that much. I don't even have an intercooler on the M112 on my 4.6L.

I didnt know they were that cheap lol

Oh okay im thinking about the M112 might let it sit on the new motor because im not sure if the stock one with 153k could handle boost.. I think low amounts possibly.. Now one more question ( im a noob to superchargers ive only delt with turbo systems) Does it matter how many miles the blower has on it like with a turbo or is that irrelevant since you could just get a new belt?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online