Suspension pic of my 1996 build in progress

Simple Six

Reaction score
I’m still in the process of assembling the Mustang. Now at this time I didn’t plan on it but because I have access to everything I decided to do a new brake line kit, fuel lines, gas tank, gas feed and return line, gas vent line, filler neck, fuel pump, sending unit gas tank straps fuel filter and misc gaskets and grommets.
While swapping rear ends from 7.5 to 8.8 I noticed a rusted hole in the gas tank filler neck and the gas tank looked rusted, beat and soft once I removed the plastic cover in a few spots along with fuel lines.

The brake lines look a little shabby and probably not as bad as I think but the fuel lines run parallel to the brake lines everything is out of the way so I rather do the brake lines now rather than go back in later. Plus it’s a safety piece of mind.

Everything in the picks are just hand tight it was just a mock up to ensure everything fit properly the BMR kmember lower controls arms.
The rear swap to the 8.8 didn’t have the Quad shock mounting brackets for the frame so I had to install them got a set off eBay. Plus BMR upper and lower rear control arms. A little drilling was needed for the new bolts not bad.
At some point I have to install new rear end gears.
That will probably lead to new axels carrier.
The gear install kit should cover everything else.

Yeah it definitely is turning out to be more than I ever intended.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0176.jpeg
    IMG_0176.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0177.jpeg
    IMG_0177.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 17

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Reminds me of my old 8.8 stick axle days, and they were fun. I did some pretty experimental shit back then with the solid axle rear suspension, out in uncharted territory and it worked out amazingly. Until of course IRS happened. But fun times, yeah. That'll be nice to drive when it's done.

Attachments

• SANY1717.jpg
    SANY1717.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 13
  • SANY1719.jpg
    SANY1719.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Almostfinished.JPG
    Almostfinished.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Front cradle finished.jpg
    Front cradle finished.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Front cradle installed II.jpg
    Front cradle installed II.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Wide shot.jpg
    Wide shot.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
S

Simple Six

Reaction score
Looks good and a lot of fun. It must have handled exceptionally well. Obviously I’m not taking the 3.8 that far into the extreme.
That’s the fun part about the Mustang it can be fun on any budget.
It’s already turned out to be more than expected but it always does.
I didn’t want to do coil overs because in my mind once you make that investment your going to where you took your SN95.
The IRS on the S550 isn’t all the great I wouldn’t waste money on the ford suspension handling package either. This I know from experience because I have a 2019 Mustang eco boost PP.
I redid most of the suspension front/rear.
The rear of the car felt vague also had this squirrelly feeling at certain times interestingly some people have that condition others didn’t. Anyway all solved after suspension upgrades.

…and yes I could have bought a GT s550 but wanted the eco by choice.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Wasn't $$$ for SRA components, even the ones I settled on. Things don't get real expensive until you start specing out an IRS for SN95s.

OP
OP
S

Simple Six

Reaction score
My plan for the 3.8 was really just pull the engine out get the super six Motorsport 4.2 stroker kit. Reassemble engine keep the automatic and jus have a clean reliable 3.8 Mustang the interior in the car is immaculate very surprising because the seats especially don’t hold up well in the SN95.

Because of Covid supply chain issues it took longer than I expected to get the stroker kit however super six was upfront and clear about that.

So at that point it was well why not get the heads done at super six while I’m waiting for the stroker kit.

So I had to save where I could and KYB shocks/struts BMR springs on sale/clearance was a cost effective approach considering I needed new shock/struts and the factory springs were gone the Mustang had a lean to the driver side.

The Mustang being over 20 years old after getting into the suspension the bushings were worn out. All original suspension maybe a ball joint was changed.

The BMR kmember was a luxury add on not needed but I was thinking take weight off the 3.8 Mustang plus everything was out and off the factory kmember so why not. Eight bolts was all that had to be taken off at that point. If ever was the time to do the kmember this was the time.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
mmmm... it's all tubey. Looks slick! Nothing does a pony right like the suspension it should have had in the first place.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that is one tidy setup! Impressive! And kudos for doing the long list of ancillaries (lines, tank etc) I’m sure you’ll be glad in the long run that you did and a perfect time to do it when the underbelly is all exposed.

Keep us posted on your progress. Very interested… Cheers!

OP
OP
S

Simple Six

Reaction score
When I do the fuel/brake lines I'll take pics. I already tossed the old gas tank. so when I put the new one in and filler neck gaskets/gromets etc. I'll take pics. hopefully it will help others and save them $$$ to do it themselves. The big thing is if all the replacement brake/fuel lines have the correct bends in them as advertised. Ive had my share of vendor claims "it fits just like OEM".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online